String Trimmers

/ String Trimmers #1  

Big Al

So I got permission to get a nice string trimmer today, and I didn't even ask!

I don't have a big yard (just under 1/3 acre), but the trimmer will back up my riding mower since I skipped getting a push mower.

Any thoughts or advice on good string trimmers? If cost were no object, I'd get a top of the line Stihl. However, cost is an object and I really won't be abusing it like a Stihl likes.

I'm thinking $150 is about as much as I can spend. Lowe's had Troy-Bilt trimmers with interchangeable heads that seemed pretty nice. Especially since I can get an edger, blower, & cultivator attachments for about $50 each. Seems like a good way to get several tools for less money than buying them all separately. Of course, my experience is a tool that does a little of everything never satisfies at anything. Would that be the case here or, since I'm a light duty user, would something like that fit the bill for me?

/ String Trimmers #2  
Don't just assume a Stihl is out of your price range.

I believe the FS-45 is well within your price range, and will still be going strong when that MTD you looked at is in the dumpster.

Been There Done That.

/ String Trimmers #3  
A Stihl FS45 is in your price range @ $170 as is an Echo GT201 @ $150. Of course, prices could vary a bit--this is just what I found with a quick internet search. I'll second the opinion that down the road you'll be much better off making the initial investment in a top-notch (Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna, Shindaiwa, etc) trimmer than you will in a lower grade machine like the Troy-Bilt. Plus, if buying from a dealer has it's benefits if there is a problem or whenever you need service. Just because you buy from a dealer doesn't necessarily mean you'll pay more initially or for parts/accessories--the dealer I bought my Shindaiwa from actually sells Shindaiwa 2-stroke mix $.50/bottle cheaper than Lowes or HD, and the price I paid for the trimmer matched the best deal I could find online. Also, when it comes to attachments for that Troy-Bilt, some will work well, and some won't. For example, I'm sure the edger or hedge trimmer would work great, but the blower attachment will not have the power (mph & cfm) of a dedicated handheld blower.

/ String Trimmers
Actually, I expected and hoped to get advice on non-big box options. It's why I posted here. It seems as though plenty of "hard-use" consumers frequent this board, so I figured there would be a good body of experience on trimmers since they seem to go hand-in-hand with garden tractors.

;)

I guess I was mostly wondering if that Troy-Bilt was too good to be true. Is Troy-Bilt just rebadged MTD any more? I'm guessing it probably is. It looks like Stihl makes a similar unit, although it's about twice the price.

I like Stihl, so I might just have to drop by the dealer and poke around.

/ String Trimmers #5  
I got a troy built trimmer. It's heavy. It's also dead after three seasons. It had enough power, but I can't get it to start. I need to spend some time on it to find out why, but I'm seriously considering something lighter and dumping it.

Eddie

/ String Trimmers #6  
5 years on my Stihl and I trim more than my fair share...service also a key to consider.

/ String Trimmers #7  
I swear by McCulloch. I had a $70 unit. Used it for 8 years. Gave it to a friend. He still uses it; now going on 14 years. I bought a larger one that is now 6 years old. Always easy start even with old gas. Never any problems. I also have a Mac610 chain saw, now 23 years and still ticking.

/ String Trimmers #8  
I paid about $240 for my FS55RC two years ago. I put a new spark plug in it and checked the air filter last month is the first time anything's been done to it other than adding the gasoline/oil mixture. My next door neighbor's 4 year old $80 Craftman bit the dust. He said it would run, but he broke the starter rope and Sears said it would cost more to fix it than a new one cost. So, instead, he bought a Stihl FS45.

I'm sure there are different opinions, but having a considerable amount of experience with string trimmers; 3 brands of electric, 4 brands of gas, both straight and curved shafts, I can't imagine ever buying one again without the straight shaft. To me they're so much easier and more efficient that they're worth the cost difference. And I guess I'm not alone in that opinion since I've never seen a commercial operator use a curved shaft.;)

/ String Trimmers #9  
Another vote for the Stihl. I've got a trimmer that's still going strong after 8+ years.

As was mentioned, being able to get the Stihl serviced is a big consideration.

hud

/ String Trimmers #10  
being able to get the Stihl serviced is a big consideration

It is for me, even if I never need it. And that's why I bought mine and my Toro mower from a local dealer rather than one of the big box stores. I have nothing against the big box stores and, in fact, spend a lot of money with them, but not on anything I figure I might someday want repaired.