Advice needed on ZTR mowers

/ Advice needed on ZTR mowers #1  

Librarian

I've been reading this forum for several weeks trying to learn as much as I can about ztr mowers. I have about 1.7 acres of level ground to mow. I have a number of obstacles to mow around so, I think it will speed up my mowing times quite a bit. I have looked at some commercial grade mowers including Dixon, Dixie Chopper and John Deere. They all start at about 6000.00 for a 50 t0 60 inch model. I really like the commercial grade units but I think spending the money for commercial grade mowers is overkill for the amount of area I have to mow. The residential models I've looked at are:

Cub Cadet rzt 50 inch with 22 hp Kawasaki engine. This one has a stamped steel frame and deck. It runs about 2900.00

Swisher 60 inch mower with 26 hp Briggs els vtwin engine. It has Eaton commercial drive units, a stamped steel frame and an 11 guage welded frame deck. Cost is about 4000.00

Cub Cadet Zforce 50 inch with 22 hp Koehler Command engine. The deck is the same as the lighter Cub, but the frame is tube welded. and the seating is nicer. The front axle looks quite a bit heavier too.

Cub Cadet Zforce 60 inch with 23 hp kawasaki engine. It is made much like the 50 inch cub, but the deck has some welded reinforcement around the edge. cost is about 5000.00. I like this unit a lot, but it comes close to the cost of a commercial unit.

I've been using a Swisher trail 60 mower for 7 years and it has been good to me. However the 13 hp engine is somewhat underpowered and is starting to use quite a bit of oil. It is still running ok however, and I am in no desparate circumstances for a new mower. I would, however, would make a change if I find a deal that I think justifies the cost of the machine.

Any help any of you can give me will be deeply appreciated.

Don Williams a.k.a. Librarian
New Vienna, OH

/ Advice needed on ZTR mowers #2  
Have you looked at the Dixon? They make a variety of ZTR's, my father in law ran one for over 20 yrs with few problems.
I have a Ferris and they are built well with good wheel motors and pumps but the most inexpensive one is about $4900.
As you have stated they really do save trimming time. My wife does the trimming and she has cut back from about 50 min to 15 min.

/ Advice needed on ZTR mowers #3  
For 1.7 acres of level ground I would probably go for the $2900. cub cadet, It should do fine for that size property... Just my opinion

/ Advice needed on ZTR mowers #4  
If you're going to bother with the consumer-level Cubs, you might as well look at the Husqvarnas and Craftsmans too. Both are manufactured by Simplicity for their respective brands.

/ Advice needed on ZTR mowers #5  
I bought a Z-Force 50 last year and I am very pleased with it. I cut between 1.5 and 2 acres. It does it with no problem.

I'd look again and compare the Z-Force deck and the true residential CC RZT. The ZF has a big anti-scalp roller on the center front.

The ZF is more of a heavy duty residential, in between the commercial and the lighter residentials.

/ Advice needed on ZTR mowers #6  
I bought a new holland ztr.

/ Advice needed on ZTR mowers
Thanks guys for all the opinions and advice. As for looking at the Dixons, yes I have looked at them. My best friend has had a small Dixon for 8 years and he loves his. One of my former students (taught school for 30 years) has a Dixon dealership about 10 miles away. I went over and looked at them today. He has one leftover 06 Ram with a 50 inch deck on it for 4750. The O7 models are 5K. There have been several changes for 07. The 06 models had sealed drive units, and the 07's have pumps and filters etc. There would be a little more maintenance on those, but they should be reliable. I really think one of those would last a long time. I read somewhere that Dixon just got bought by Husqvarna. I will be looking at the those and the Craftsman models too. Swisher is sold by Sears as well as Tractor supply. While talking to one of the young guys at TSC, I learned that several people have bought Swisher ztrs, but have brought them back and taken home Cubs in exchange. As for the Cubs, I wish I could get the zforce 50 inch model with a Kawasaki engine instead of the Koehler.

Keep the advice coming. I really appreciate it and am leariing from all of you.

Don Williams a.k.a. Librarian

/ Advice needed on ZTR mowers #8  
Librarian said:
While talking to one of the young guys at TSC, I learned that several people have bought Swisher ztrs, but have brought them back and taken home Cubs in exchange.

Sounds fishy. I've heard of very few complaints on the Swishers.

/ Advice needed on ZTR mowers #9  
For 1.7 acres I would go with a commercial unit, the home owner grade units will not hold up as well. Cub cadet makes the Tank which is a tough mower, John Deere makes some godo commercial grade ZTR's and I would also look at Toro, Scag, Dixie Chopper, Exmark, Ferris or Grasshopper.

/ Advice needed on ZTR mowers #10  
I have just recently noticed that some manufacturers are offering regular style riding mowers with a very tight turning radius model, This may also be a viable option?? Might be worth checking out...:)