Briggs+Stratton - Intek V Twin OHV 20 hp. model # 406777

/ Briggs+Stratton - Intek V Twin OHV 20 hp. model # 406777 #1  

ken8400

Tractor
JD500C,Ford2000,JDL120,FordLT125
:) Hi everybody , great site , tons of info. Been reading threads here for about a month and loving it. I'm having a problem with the above motor. It's the charging system giving me probloems. I put in a fully charged battery at 12.5 volts. I start the mower and put trottle 3/4 up. Put the meter on the terminals and still get 12.5 volts. Should be reading 13-14 volts no. The tractor (JD-L120) is 4 years old tomorrow. I am hoping it's not the stator. Any ideas , fuse i my be missing?, regulator? Thank you for reading. Ken

/ Briggs+Stratton - Intek V Twin OHV 20 hp. model # 406777 #2  
There is a regulator/rectifier module that the stator feeds in to. It is usually the culprit with small engine charging problems. It is typically mounted under the cooling shroud below the flywheel somewhere, you'll see the wires going to it. You can check to see that the stator is feeding AC in to it, (typically in the 30 volt range) and if that is OK but the DC output reading is under about 13.5 volts, the R/R is bad.

-Fordlords-

/ Briggs+Stratton - Intek V Twin OHV 20 hp. model # 406777
Thank you for the info Fordlords. I'll check it out one night this week. If it's the R/R , would it draw the battery down after it sits awhile. If i don't disconnect the pos terminal when i'm done the battery is almost dead. Thank you again :)