8N/Jubilee Fuel Problems

/ 8N/Jubilee Fuel Problems #1  

tjscaprines

Tractor
DK-35
Need Some advice...

My Neighors 8N runs great, we just rebuilt the 3 point, but we still have an issue.

Here in the mountains of Kentucky when the fuel gets below...lets say half tank...you don't dare stay on the side of a hill tilted to the left. Once the fuel runs out of the bowl, you have a long walk back to the barn to get more fuel to raise the level.

Somewhere, someone must have found a way around this issue. Any ideas, short of planting flowers on the tractor while it is still in the field, would be appreciated.

/ 8N/Jubilee Fuel Problems #2  
So.. what is it.. an 8n .. or a jubilee ( NAA ).

The 8n has a fuel tap / sediment on the left side of the tank.. Running left side down really shouldn't be a problem....

Oem fuel tap style was 2 tuns to open.. then another couple turns to go to reserve. All that did was open up a different pipe that was lower than the first pipe on the top of the tap. There is a finger sized filter screen above the tap in the tank.. it's possible the filter could be ll plugged up to a certain level.. and/or the lower fuel tap pipe may be plugged.

Now.. if you have a NAA/ early 600/800 ( or late 600-800 with repop tank )then the fuel tap is on the right side of the tank. ( late 600-800 with oem tank had a tap in the middle of the tank. )

Post back... your info doesn't specifically describe what tractor you are working on. A pic would help if you are not sure what tractor it is.

Tip.. an 8n is a flathead engine... has a small battery door in the hood about 8" wide by 1 foot long.

an NAA/hundred series has an overhead valve engine a a lont fuel tank / battery door that runs the length of the 'torpedo' shaped hood.. and has a round nose emblem / medalion on it.

Soundguy

/ 8N/Jubilee Fuel Problems
Yes it's a jubilee/NAA, it was made in late Jan, but it never got the fancy emblem. It has the long bullet hood, but sometimes we have to get the 8N parts to make it work. On the 3 point Hydraulics we had to use the 8N kit.

From what I can feel/see the only tap on the tank is on the drivers right side, about 1/2 way down the length, but fully to the right side and leads straight to the fuel bowl. There is no other tap on the tank. I often suspect the tank is not original as the NAA fuel cap he bought does not fit tight. I kinda think this one's a mutt of sorts.

The tap is a round knob and it rotates about 4 turns to run the fuel. Unless the reserve tank hose is inside the tank...i don't think it exsist. I will try to get some pics of it later today

We plan to run it out of fuel/ drain it and see if we can remove the tank. I was hoping to add another fuel line on the drivers left side.

Thanks

TJ

/ 8N/Jubilee Fuel Problems #4  
I think you missed some of the points in my message.

The NAA tank DOES have the fuel tap on the right side. I posted that to clarify it from an 8n tank.. as you had posted before that it was an 8n tractor.

The fuel tap has a piece which goes up inthe tank sourounded by a finger sized brass screen. inside that screened area are to 2mall strays the size of coffee stirer straws.. one is almost even with the threads onthe tap.. the other sticks up about 1/4 inch taller.. this is the difference int he reserve feature. new style taps don't have the reserve. Opeening 4 turns means you have an obstruction.. you only need 2 full turns to get furl flowing.. even on the repop taps.

Oem fuel tank top wears out.. It's no surprise that a new cap don't fit tight.. as CNH no longer makes an 'as oem' style cap.. but rather a 'will fit' style cap.

I'm very surprised you were able to use many of the 8n lift rebuild parts... it is a completely different system. The pump on an 8n is burried in the lift section belly... the pump on a NAA is onthe right hand side of the engine.. and they share absolutely NO common parts.

The NAA uses a unloading style valve and a lift cyl with integral check and relief.. whereas the relief valve in an 8n is in the pump itself. 8N uses a completely different. in the pump style intake/exhaust control valve.

Mostly the 8n pump rebuild setup uses paper gaskets for the chambers.. and top and bottom cover ..etc.. The NAA will use many orings, plus a top cover gasket..e tc.

About the only widely common parts are the NAA lift piston with a single groove for an oring and leather backup washer. Those 3 parts will fit all 9n / 2n / 8n / NAA

Soundguy

Soundguy