Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine?

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #1  

phil tokish

Tractor
ford 8N 1951 , Jinma 204 2006 527 hours
Is there a way to Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine?
I have a ford 8N with a 4 Cylinder gas Engine and would like to
Convert or put a Diesel Engine in it

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #2  
It may be possible but the result would be terribly expensive and not very satisfying.

If you really wish a diesel engine in your tractor it would be much easier and cheaper to have a proper engine installed.

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #3  
phil tokish said:

Phil, the short answer to your question is no. If your gasoline engine needs an overhaul, that is relatively easy to do. If you want a diesel tractor, then you need to think of selling the 8N and buying a diesel. The 8N's clutch, transmission, and all parts are designed around a gasoline engine. The cost of doing a conversion would be more than the cost of a diesel tractor. After you finish, you'd have a strange "beast" also. Your 8N has lots of true blue Ford and aftermarket parts available for it. You'd devalue it by making it a diesel.

Can you tell us why you think a diesel would be better in the 8N?

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #4  
I don't think it is really very financially sensible to do but there are guys who put different engines in their vintage tractors. I know this has been posted before but ....

YouTube - Fast Tractor

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #5  
I think Ford offered a Perkins diesel engine for an upgrade, or maybe that was on the old Massey's.

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #6  
BTDT said:
I think Ford offered a Perkins diesel engine for an upgrade, or maybe that was on the old Massey's.

I think you are talking about MF. They had Continental gas engines and Perkins diesel or gas engines. I don't think the 8n ever had a diesel option. (The 8nan variant of this tractor could run on distillate (TVO in the UK))

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #7  
If you like ford and want a diesel.. look a few years ahead and get a nice 661D or similar

Soundguy

phil tokish said:

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine?
I just want more power and I like the look of the 8N but yea it would be way
to expensive to do so im thinking of buying a diesel ford 2000 or 3000
and keep the 8n more for show then work and get a newer ford for work

phil

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #9  
This interests me i have a 1953 power major (gas) and is not a patch on the diesels i'm used to .
Ihad 2 thoughts , Convert to diesel or but a big motor like , CHEV 350,Cat v8 or Ford 6 cyl diesel combine engine and make a toy out of it like we used to in the uk .
To convert a major to diesel it would be as simple as changing pump and adding injectors , Basic motor is same , Am i right ?

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #10  
D7E said:
This interests me i have a 1953 power major (gas) and is not a patch on the diesels i'm used to .
Ihad 2 thoughts , Convert to diesel or but a big motor like , CHEV 350,Cat v8 or Ford 6 cyl diesel combine engine and make a toy out of it like we used to in the uk .
To convert a major to diesel it would be as simple as changing pump and adding injectors , Basic motor is same , Am i right ?

Put a Cat V8 in it and be happy :D