Allis Chalmers ED 40---Parts

/ Allis Chalmers ED 40---Parts #1  

gettincold

Hello All:

I have an Allis Chalmers ED 40 tractor (vintage 1965-1967?) that I have somewhat inherited. It is a nice little tractor but has some odd quirks/issues. One of them is finding parts generally which is interesting since I believe the tractor was originally manufactured in the UK. A more specific issue, is the steering which has over time become rather loose and variable, which limits the speed at which you can travel.

My question is has anyone come across this tractor and is there any easy way to locate parts for it, more specifically the steering box? Are there modifications that can be used to make the darn thing steer?!

On a more general note is there information related to filters, maintenace, operation etc available?

Thanks for your help.

Gettincold.

/ Allis Chalmers ED 40---Parts #2  
I don't know about AC but most steering boxes have an adjustment nut on them to take up the play. On a lot it is a nut you loosen with a screw adjuster inside. Loosen the nut, adjust the screw until it's tight, back off 1/4 turn and retighten the jam nut.

/ Allis Chalmers ED 40---Parts #3  
I'm not familiar with that machine.. but ditto what toad said.

Most boxes have a stud to let you adjust steering sector gear backlash.

This isn't always the source of play though, as thrust bearing wear also introduces play.

I'd try the unoficial allsi site.. lots of info there for the orange tractors.. plus places to buy parts.

YT has some orange parts as well.

hit the discussion forum at the AC site.. post away.. you are sure to get replies pretty fast..

Unofficial Allis Home Page

Soundguy

/ Allis Chalmers ED 40---Parts
Thanks guys.

I have played with the adjusting nut and put the required fluid in but it seems it is either too loose or too tight. I have seen others complain of this issue on the ED 40.

Thanks Soundguy for the link...I will have a look there and see what they have to say.

Gettincold

/ Allis Chalmers ED 40---Parts #5  
If adjusting the backlash makes it tight to steer.. but stil has play, it is as i suspected.. IE.. other worn parts like a thrust bearing or sector gear / bushing..e tc.

soundguy

Soundguy

Thanks for the info.

Yes I think that is what happens when I tighten the adjusting nut i.e it becomes tight to turn but still has play in the wheel, if you know what I mean.
I am not sure if the steering box can be taken apart it doesn't look like it to me but next time I am up where the tractor is located I will take a picture.

I went to the AC website you suggested very interesting...some nicely restored tractors there for sure.

Thanks

Gettincold

/ Allis Chalmers ED 40---Parts #7  
One last thought, you said you kind if inherited the tractor, that made me think "Is this his first tractor" if it is , try driving some other tractors, because the steering on tractors is a lot looser than cars. Tight steering on rutted, plowed ground would make for a strange ride.

/ Allis Chalmers ED 40---Parts #8  
I'm not trying to give you a hard time here... but think about what you just said... about the box not being able to come apart?? how'd it get together in the first place? I guarantee you they didn't send in ants with little tools and have them carve out a set of gears on the inside of a hollowed out chunk of iron.. then fill it with lube and go... Even hermetrically sealed pump housings -can- be taken apart.

If man made it.. it can be unmade and remade. ;)

Soundguy

gettincold said:
I am not sure if the steering box can be taken apart it doesn't look like it to me but next time I am up where the tractor is located I will take a picture.

Thanks Toadhill & Soundguy:

Well not even sure if it is my first tractor, seeing as how it was my dad's prior to me, and he used on a hobby basis and had bought it from anoher hooby farmer. I do recall the steering being somewhat more predictable back then in the late 70's & early 80's. I understand the wooble factor between the furrows etc. though, this is somewhat more interesting now. For example I won't drive it above 2nd gear or a slow 3rd (out of 4) in HI as I will end up in the bush. I will play some more with the adjusting screw though and let you know how it goes.

Soundguy you are likely correct in that there must be a way to dissassemble it, though it is not apparent at first glance. I will have another look and take a picture to see if there is something I am missing.

Thanks again

Gettincold

/ Allis Chalmers ED 40---Parts #10  
Try to find an exploded diagram for it. I guarantee you it was built in pieces.. and thus can come apart..

soundguy