Looking for photos, Allis Chalmers C with belly mower

/ Looking for photos, Allis Chalmers C with belly mower #1  

BobReeves

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
I just became the care taker of what I have been told is an Allis Chalmers C with a B front end.. It looks like someone has installed an OEM belly mower but I can't believe the lash up they put on to raise it. It may be stock and simply installed wrong, I haven't a clue...

Thinking if I could see a few photos of C's with belly mowers I would have a better idea of how the thing is supose to work..

/ Looking for photos, Allis Chalmers C with belly mower #2  
Try allischalmers.com and ytmag.com for pixes.

/ Looking for photos, Allis Chalmers C with belly mower #3  
Afternoon Bob,
I have to agree with Barry, go to Antique Tractors - Yesterday's Tractors : Antique Tractor Headquarters and on the left side of the page there is a section of tractor photos. Once in that section do a search of Allis Chalmers C and you may find just what your looking for ! Also you could post a question on the AC discussion forum and someone may be able to post a pic or tell you how to hook it up properly !

/ Looking for photos, Allis Chalmers C with belly mower #4  
Lets see a pic of it. You'd be surprised at what people did 'back then' that wouldn't be osha passable today. My IH CUB belly mower or allis chalmers G belly mower has more open pullies and no belt guards and probably 8' of swinging belt!

Soundguy

/ Looking for photos, Allis Chalmers C with belly mower #5  
Here is a 1950 from scott_vt's website link:
a101391.jpg

/ Looking for photos, Allis Chalmers C with belly mower
Thanks, I ran across that photo in my search but nothing like I was really looking for. Here is a shot of the beast, it belongs to the model airplane club I am a member of, we are moving our flying site to my place so the Allis came with the territory. As you can see the lever to raise the mower is almost rubbing the steering wheel.

Attachments

• Allis2ss.jpg
    Allis2ss.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 7,331
   / Looking for photos, Allis Chalmers C with belly mower #7  
BobReeves said:
As you can see the lever to raise the mower is almost rubbing the steering wheel.

Afternoon Bob,
Nice old tractor there ! I would suggest repositioning one of the pivot points for that strongarm lift to move it away from the steering wheel, shouldnt be to tough to get it were you want it ! ;)

/ Looking for photos, Allis Chalmers C with belly mower
Ya, after getting a better look see over the whole tractor today I have a few ideas. It has a small unused hydraulic cylinder in the rear that looks like it could moved and utilized to lift the mower with a little Oklahoma engineering. Also the mower deck needs gauge wheels but that shouldn't be too large a project.

Something is wrong with the starter wiring or starter switch. I pulled the battery and starter today, charging the battery and after removing the starter switch the starter runs from a good battery. I'll put it back together after the battery checks out and see if I can figure out why the starter wasn't working.

With a little TLC it might make a good mower, will still use my Ford 3000 for the heavy duty work but this little Allis might be fun..

It looks like the hydraulic cylinder is a single acting cylinder (one hose).. Assuming it extends when the valve is actuated I will need to fabricate a bellcrank.. Weeeeee a fun project..

/ Looking for photos, Allis Chalmers C with belly mower #9  
I believe that picture is of a B, not a C. And yes, there should be a small hyd cyl that can be utilized to help lift the mower. The engines in those Bs and Cs was almost indestructible. It will run as long as you put gas in it... BobG in VA

/ Looking for photos, Allis Chalmers C with belly mower #10  
BobReeves said:
Something is wrong with the starter wiring or starter switch. I pulled the battery and starter today, charging the battery and after removing the starter switch the starter runs from a good battery. I'll put it back together after the battery checks out and see if I can figure out why the starter wasn't working.

do you have a crank for it? It is similar size and power to my Farmall-A. My Farmall-A does not have a starter. Turn the gas on, reset the kill switch, and pull her over a couple times. fires right up.

Interesting tidbit, the Allis design came out before the IH/Farmall Cub/A/B. Allis had the patent on that torque tube as part of the frame idea; IH paid royalties to AC for years instead of changing thier design.