Need advice on MF-135 fuel line modification

/ Need advice on MF-135 fuel line modification #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
My 1964 MF-135 diesel needs it's fuel line rerouted to eliminate an interference with the new vertical exhaust line I'm installing. The original exhaust was horizontal (the 135 is an orchard tractor) and I need it vertical to work in my hayfield.

Here's a photo of the existing fuel line and the exhaust manifold:

DSCF0170Small.jpg

Here's the new exhaust pipe/muffler

DSCF0171Small.jpg

The fuel line between the last filter and the injector has a U-bend that needs to be modified so the new exhaust/muffler fits.

Question: is that U-bend an essential part of the fuel line? Does it function as some type of trap that is needed for the injector to operate correctly?

Or could I reroute the new fuel line above the J-bend in the exhaust system instead of making a deeper U-bend in the new fuel line?

Thanks for your help.

/ Need advice on MF-135 fuel line modification #2  
It's bent that way so the line won't get taught. It gives just like a loop in a hydraulic hose does. Can't you just bend the line back against the block to clear the new exhaust?

/ Need advice on MF-135 fuel line modification #3  
It shouldn't matter where you route the pipe to. I would have thought you could have just pushed it back and put the exhaust in front of it.

One thing while you are working on the tractor and fuel system is to check the little valve under the fuel tank. If you take this off from the tank you should be able to see a little filter. If this isn't there, then it is worth replacing it.

Also, the valvle can sometimes accumulate muck and then cause a fuel blockage. It is worth a check.

/ Need advice on MF-135 fuel line modification #4  
JerryG nailed it. That line has those bends to allow some degree of flexability to prevent stressing end connections or stress on the line itself. Just bend (carefully) for enough clearance and go with it!

/ Need advice on MF-135 fuel line modification
Farmwithjunk said:
JerryG nailed it. That line has those bends to allow some degree of flexability to prevent stressing end connections or stress on the line itself. Just bend (carefully) for enough clearance and go with it!

OK. I'll try bending the line. I may be able to bend it toward the engine enough to remove the interference.

Need to make sure the fuel line doesn't contact the exhaust pipe. Major vapor lock if it does.

Hope the fittings on the end stay tight.