Price on a Dearborn Sickle Mower

/ Price on a Dearborn Sickle Mower #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
I've got a Dearborn sickle bar mower sitting out behind my garage, and I've taken on the task to clean things up. I think the best use of this implement would be for me to sell it.

How would I come to a good estimate of the value on this implement? Are there any blue book type sites for old iron?

It's the old kind that was meant to hook up to a Ford 8N. The pitman arm is missing, and I have two sets of knives for it.

What other information do I need to gather before listing it somewhere. I've really never gotten into the antique tractor and implement thing. My dad rounded this one up for me when he heard I was looking for a mower. I got a bush hog instead, so this one is just in the way now.

/ Price on a Dearborn Sickle Mower #2  
In good working order, not necessarily pretty, they go for about $500 in New Hampshire, more if the market will bear it. MikeD74T

/ Price on a Dearborn Sickle Mower #3  
You can sink a small fortune into a sickle bar mower in the process of taking it from "rough" to "good". Sections (the individual tri-angle shaped blades) can cost beyond $60 for a full set. Rivets or bolts for the sections, add another $20 (+) Guards (w/integral ledger plates) $125 to $200 depending on quality and bar length. Hold-down clips, ect, add another $35(+) Need a new swath board? $20 to $50. U-joints, pitman shaft, misc. parts, add another $25 to $50.(+)

So, Figure $300 for a CONSERVATIVE estimate of a rebuild to good condition. (ie ready to mow hay)

Around here, any pitman style mower will sell in the neighborhood of $300 to $400 IN GOOD CONDITION.

Pitman-less models (ie New Holland 451, ect) $400 to $1500 IN GOOD CONDITION, depending on brand, model, age, ect.

Dearborn mowers in rough condition, I can find 'em by the boat load around here for $150-$200

/ Price on a Dearborn Sickle Mower
Farmwithjunk said:
You can sink a small fortune into a sickle bar mower in the process of taking it from "rough" to "good". Sections (the individual tri-angle shaped blades) can cost beyond $60 for a full set. Rivets or bolts for the sections, add another $20 (+) Guards (w/integral ledger plates) $125 to $200 depending on quality and bar length. Hold-down clips, ect, add another $35(+) Need a new swath board? $20 to $50. U-joints, pitman shaft, misc. parts, add another $25 to $50.(+)

So, Figure $300 for a CONSERVATIVE estimate of a rebuild to good condition. (ie ready to mow hay)

Around here, any pitman style mower will sell in the neighborhood of $300 to $400 IN GOOD CONDITION.

Pitman-less models (ie New Holland 451, ect) $400 to $1500 IN GOOD CONDITION, depending on brand, model, age, ect.

Dearborn mowers in rough condition, I can find 'em by the boat load around here for $150-$200

Thanks for the details.

I'm really not interested in fixing this one up. I already have enough projects that I'm passionate about. This would just be a chore.

I would say that this one is in "repairable condition", though. The teeth are all good, and the guards are all there. The biggest thing would be the pitman arm.

I may just be lawn ornament fodder. That's why I here writing to all of you... So I can know if it would be worth it to someone else to fix it up.

/ Price on a Dearborn Sickle Mower #5  
Iplayfarmer said:
I've got a Dearborn sickle bar mower sitting out behind my garage, and I've taken on the task to clean things up. I think the best use of this implement would be for me to sell it.

How would I come to a good estimate of the value on this implement? Are there any blue book type sites for old iron?

It's the old kind that was meant to hook up to a Ford 8N. The pitman arm is missing, and I have two sets of knives for it.

What other information do I need to gather before listing it somewhere. I've really never gotten into the antique tractor and implement thing. My dad rounded this one up for me when he heard I was looking for a mower. I got a bush hog instead, so this one is just in the way now.

5ft? 6ft? 7ft?

I've been watching Ford sicklebar mower auctions on eBay for a few months. Mowers in good shape generally sell between $500 and $1000 depending on size. Your's seems to be in less that working shape. I don't think you'd get more that $200 for it.

Sicklebar prices are very variable. For example, I just bought a 6-ft Allis-Chalmers tow-type sicklebar mower for $150. It's in working shape. Needs a little cleaning and a lube job to get it ready for mowing next year.

DSCF0062Small.jpg

/ Price on a Dearborn Sickle Mower #6  
Try one of the AT mailing lists:

Send Ford-ferguson mailing list submissions to
ford-ferguson@lists.antique-tractor.com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
Ford-ferguson Info Page
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
ford-ferguson-request@lists.antique-tractor.com

You can reach the person managing the list at
ford-ferguson-owner@lists.antique-tractor.com

Send AT mailing list submissions to