Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Default Price on a Dearborn Sickle Mower

I've got a Dearborn sickle bar mower sitting out behind my garage, and I've taken on the task to clean things up. I think the best use of this implement would be for me to sell it.

How would I come to a good estimate of the value on this implement? Are there any blue book type sites for old iron?

It's the old kind that was meant to hook up to a Ford 8N. The pitman arm is missing, and I have two sets of knives for it.

What other information do I need to gather before listing it somewhere. I've really never gotten into the antique tractor and implement thing. My dad rounded this one up for me when he heard I was looking for a mower. I got a bush hog instead, so this one is just in the way now.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

Default Re: Price on a Dearborn Sickle Mower

In good working order, not necessarily pretty, they go for about $500 in New Hampshire, more if the market will bear it. MikeD74T

Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

You can sink a small fortune into a sickle bar mower in the process of taking it from "rough" to "good". Sections (the individual tri-angle shaped blades) can cost beyond $60 for a full set. Rivets or bolts for the sections, add another $20 (+) Guards (w/integral ledger plates) $125 to $200 depending on quality and bar length. Hold-down clips, ect, add another $35(+) Need a new swath board? $20 to $50. U-joints, pitman shaft, misc. parts, add another $25 to $50.(+)

So, Figure $300 for a CONSERVATIVE estimate of a rebuild to good condition. (ie ready to mow hay)

Around here, any pitman style mower will sell in the neighborhood of $300 to $400 IN GOOD CONDITION.

Pitman-less models (ie New Holland 451, ect) $400 to $1500 IN GOOD CONDITION, depending on brand, model, age, ect.

Dearborn mowers in rough condition, I can find 'em by the boat load around here for $150-$200
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Quote Originally Posted by Farmwithjunk
    You can sink a small fortune into a sickle bar mower in the process of taking it from "rough" to "good". Sections (the individual tri-angle shaped blades) can cost beyond $60 for a full set. Rivets or bolts for the sections, add another $20 (+) Guards (w/integral ledger plates) $125 to $200 depending on quality and bar length. Hold-down clips, ect, add another $35(+) Need a new swath board? $20 to $50. U-joints, pitman shaft, misc. parts, add another $25 to $50.(+)

So, Figure $300 for a CONSERVATIVE estimate of a rebuild to good condition. (ie ready to mow hay)

Around here, any pitman style mower will sell in the neighborhood of $300 to $400 IN GOOD CONDITION.

Pitman-less models (ie New Holland 451, ect) $400 to $1500 IN GOOD CONDITION, depending on brand, model, age, ect.

Dearborn mowers in rough condition, I can find 'em by the boat load around here for $150-$200
    Thanks for the details.

I'm really not interested in fixing this one up. I already have enough projects that I'm passionate about. This would just be a chore.

I would say that this one is in "repairable condition", though. The teeth are all good, and the guards are all there. The biggest thing would be the pitman arm.

I may just be lawn ornament fodder. That's why I here writing to all of you... So I can know if it would be worth it to someone else to fix it up.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Tractor
    Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Iplayfarmer
    I've got a Dearborn sickle bar mower sitting out behind my garage, and I've taken on the task to clean things up. I think the best use of this implement would be for me to sell it.

How would I come to a good estimate of the value on this implement? Are there any blue book type sites for old iron?

It's the old kind that was meant to hook up to a Ford 8N. The pitman arm is missing, and I have two sets of knives for it.

What other information do I need to gather before listing it somewhere. I've really never gotten into the antique tractor and implement thing. My dad rounded this one up for me when he heard I was looking for a mower. I got a bush hog instead, so this one is just in the way now.
    5ft? 6ft? 7ft?

I've been watching Ford sicklebar mower auctions on eBay for a few months. Mowers in good shape generally sell between $500 and $1000 depending on size. Your's seems to be in less that working shape. I don't think you'd get more that $200 for it.

Sicklebar prices are very variable. For example, I just bought a 6-ft Allis-Chalmers tow-type sicklebar mower for $150. It's in working shape. Needs a little cleaning and a lube job to get it ready for mowing next year.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Try one of the AT mailing lists:

Send Ford-ferguson mailing list submissions to
    ford-ferguson@lists.antique-tractor.com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
    Ford-ferguson Info Page
    or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
    ford-ferguson-request@lists.antique-tractor.com

You can reach the person managing the list at
    ford-ferguson-owner@lists.antique-tractor.com

Send AT mailing list submissions to
    at@lists.antique-tractor.com