went to a show today.. pics

/ went to a show today.. pics #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Some nice tractors.. and a good little parade!

soundguy

The allis G is mine.

Attachments

• 100_1675 (Large).JPG
    100_1675 (Large).JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 884
  • 100_1676 (Large).JPG
    100_1676 (Large).JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 681
  • 100_1678 (Large).JPG
    100_1678 (Large).JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 655
  • 100_1679 (Large).JPG
    100_1679 (Large).JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 657
   / went to a show today.. pics #2  
Chris, the third pic looks like an MT. Was it and if so is it your picture is the back wheels oversized. If they are (and they look like they are) did they say why they put such large tires on the back? There are a few things they changed on it that caught my attention but those tires are noticable.

/ went to a show today.. pics #3  
Robert,

Agree on Pic 3, only I'd call it an "M" as I think MT was a tricycle front end.

I had a 49M and noticed some differences also:

Tires--Mine didn't go above the height of the fenders, and these look wider also.

3PH--Mine had the original JD "bar lift" (not sure what they called it), where the implements (cultivator, plow, sickle mower, ????) had a C type tube that went over the bar, with a spear type bar that went several feet forward and was lifted by a linkage under the tractor as the 3rd point of lift.

Seat--Think the metal back and side bar were added. Mine had a thin metal backing that might have had a small pad on it.

Front Grill -- mine didn't have one

I thought about putting an aftermarket 3PH on mine, but it had a belt pulley gearbox right where the top link would need to fit on the tractor.

I couldn't believe how well mine would pull! I used the cultivator with sweeps on it to work about 1/2 acres garden. I noticed one evening that the muffler was glowing RED when it was pulling hard......

Ron

/ went to a show today.. pics #4  
The MT was available with an adjustable wide front or a narrow front. The seat threw me also as it isn't a typical M seat. They replaced the JD M lift system with an aftermarket 3pt which is common now for people who want to run a 3pt brush chopper (I personally don't like altering old tractors so I would have went with a pull type mower). The front grill is a M grill so that is right.

On your M you could have removed the belt pulley and bought the cover plate from Jd if they still had it or any of the JD parts dealers as they are all over the place now. Or traded the pulley if you didn't care about money to someone for the cover off their tractor. One guy helping the other:)

/ went to a show today.. pics #5  
I just looked at the picture again and I think you are right. That is a JD M front axle on it. The oversized rear tires sure do change the apperance.

That orange tractor looks pretty nice though. Chris, do you like all the attention the G grabs at these shows or do you stand in the crowd listening to the guys talk about it?

/ went to a show today.. pics
The metal tag on the dash just said M.. unless I really looked at it wrong.

Yes.. the tires look oversized to me.

The 3pt is 100% farmerization.

soundguy

/ went to a show today.. pics #7  
That M sure has some fat tires. Lots of times people make the mistake of ordering the same size tires as were originally on a tractor, only to find out too late, that the size designations have changed over the years. Older rims were narrower than today's, so when you take a modern tire and put it on an old narrow rim, it squeezes the tire in, and makes it taller than on a modern rim. Don't know if that's what happened here, I can't read the size on the tire.:)

Robert_in_NY said:
That orange tractor looks pretty nice though. Chris, do you like all the attention the G grabs at these shows or do you stand in the crowd listening to the guys talk about it?

Both! I sometimes stand back and just listen to the people talk.. sometimes I jump in with restoration details.. etc.

I'd like to take one of my fords.. but sadly.. fords get -very- little attention. the very nice 960 that was there got only 1 tire kicker the entire time I was there.. and that was ME... If I do take a ford.. i'll take one of my 1-arm loader units.. so at least it will be odd.. etc.

soundguy

/ went to a show today.. pics #9  
I know how you feel. Our local shows have some great old tractors. The only Ford I ever recall getting any attention was the rare aluminum hooded N series (I can't remember which model N:( )

That would have been an early 9n. they started in 1939.. and used cast aluminum parts till the sheet metal tooling was worked up.

Hoods, grills, steering pedistal / dash, and possibly right side inspection (dipstick) cover.. ( not sure on that one.. ),

Soundguy