Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #11  
Dad had a WD (model before WD45) It was our hay mowing tractor with a mid-mounted sickle bar. It was a NF. The seat was almost lethal. I HATED that tractor! The WD45 was a major step up.

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #12  
Robert_in_NY said:
But Bill, he was looking for tractors from the 50's and 60's. You need to update your list now:)

I wish I was in the position to buy another WD45 as I miss mine even more now that I am thinking about it. Maybe if I sell the AC B.....:)

The salesman is coming out in me! Gotta sell the next step up the ladder when I can;)

'50's 3-plow tractors. MF65, 901 Ford, IH M/460

Don't forget the Allis D17.

Never a huge fan of 2-cylinder Deere's even though they were good tractors. Guess I have to throw in a Deere 630.

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #13  
Farmwithjunk said:
The salesman is coming out in me! Gotta sell the next step up the ladder when I can;)

Never a huge fan of 2-cylinder Deere's even though they were good tractors. Guess I have to throw in a Deere 630.

I know what you mean about the Deere tractors from the 50's. I like the M but other then that the only tractor that really grabs my attention is the 830 (well the Wheatland versions are great looking tractors). Deere's problem is all their tractors looked the same and unless you grew up with those tractors I find it hard to get interested in collecting them.

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling
Robert_in_NY said:
You could always look for a MF 180, that would look even better next to the 135. Hook the 180 to a MF 82 plow and go to town.

Plus the MF180 having a standard 3pt hitch would be more useful as it can accept other 3pt equipment.

The WD45 is just a personal favorite of mine and if you ever meet someone who has one ask to take it for a spin. They are a lot of fun to operate as you sit so far back and you look down that long hood it is just a great time. Plus it is easy to hook up implements as you sit right over the drawbar.

This picture from TractorData.com kind of shows you just where the seat sits compared to the rear wheels.

177090.jpg

Most of these old tractors are a lot of fun if you fix them up good and match them up to a good plow you can work them or show them and have fun doing either. Most of the main line companies made or had plows made for them so you can match your rig together so it looks like it was meant to be.

Are you going to use this rig just for work or for show also?

Work, right now. But if I can clean it up enough, there are a few Spring parades around here. At ~4000 lb hauling a WD45 gives me an excuse to get a larger trailer, maybe a gooseneck.

Farmwithjunk said:

Oops, missed putting the MF65 on the list. Definitely. See quite a few on eBay.

900 series Fords-OK, but I have trouble figuring out the code they use for their model numbers.

Farmall M: yep.

IH460: definitely

Allis D-17 is on the list.

JD 630: possible.

I'm heading for an auction next Sat where there's several interesting selections:

JD 60
Farmall 560

May take a stab at one of these if they check out OK.

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #16  
flusher said:
Work, right now. But if I can clean it up enough, there are a few Spring parades around here. At ~4000 lb hauling a WD45 gives me an excuse to get a larger trailer, maybe a gooseneck.

Most 3 plow tractors should be around the 2+ ton mark so if you are going to get a 3 plow tractor it looks like you will get your bigger trailer anyway:)

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #17  
Robert_in_NY said:
Deere's problem is all their tractors looked the same and unless you grew up with those tractors I find it hard to get interested in collecting them.

I find it hard to get interested in older Deere's because I'm CHEAP and they ain't ;) There's still a few cheap "B"'s around but anything else is just overpriced as far as I'm concerned.

Farmwithjunk said:
I find it hard to get interested in older Deere's because I'm CHEAP and they ain't ;) There's still a few cheap "B"'s around but anything else is just overpriced as far as I'm concerned.

I hear you. That's why I keep sniffing around things like Case and IH/Farmall tractors hoping to hit paydirt one of these days.

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #19  
Here is a good one, it should pull a 3 bottom plow and will sound great doing it.

a23516.jpg

MF 98 with the Detroit Diesel:D :D :D :D

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #20  
I'd go with a ford 5000

soundguy