Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #51  
jimmysisson said:
Robert - it looks like that rockshaft (or whatever you call it) for the implement lift goes in front of the brace for the seat back. I bet that's an unwelcome kick in the tailbone when you cross a furrow or some such. Ouch!
Jim

I wish I knew, I had it started shortly after I bought it and drove it around the yard (there are no furrows in my yard) to see if all the gears worked. When I shut it off I haven't had time to work on it since. It goes into the "one of these days" category.

If I ever get a nice workshop built up then I will have this B and the MH 81RC inside so I could work on either one.

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #52  
I have owned 2 - D10's, D12, D14, D15 and 3 - D17's Allis Chalmers. The D14 was marketed as a 3 plow tractor originally but in practice it struggled in most field conditions with a 3 bottom. I still have a D14 and use it in parades, pulling a 2 bottom plow, 7' grader blade, etc...

I'll attach a picture.

Attachments

• Pictures - Old Files 199.jpg
    Pictures - Old Files 199.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:
   / Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #53  
Here is one of my D17's. Now that is a real 3 plow tractor.

Attachments

• Pictures - Old Files 168.jpg
    Pictures - Old Files 168.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
   / Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #54  
Originally Posted by jimmysisson
Robert - it looks like that rockshaft (or whatever you call it) for the implement lift goes in front of the brace for the seat back. I bet that's an unwelcome kick in the tailbone when you cross a furrow or some such. Ouch!

That is the plow hook up bar and it doesn't come up enough to hit you in the back. The lift cylinder on a B only had about 5" of stroke. That is the way they all came if they had hydraulic lifts. Later, Nat

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #55  
Nat, do you happen to have any pictures of a plow hooked up to the B? I think I have seen a pic of a B with a plow but from the front and I would love to see it from the back.

I figure when I am ready to bring the tractor inside I will have plenty of time to research information. Depending on how I am feeling this summer and if I am able to work on the tractor I hope to bring it to the small barn where there is a concrete floor and start working on it there unless I get my shop done (which I don't see happening very soon).

My B shouldn't cost too much to restore and I am sure Ava will like being out there watching me. She loves the John Deere M because she can sit on the seat and easily reach the steering wheel so she plays on that all the time.

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #56  
I pulled plough by Massey Harris 744 when I was child.
It was somethings like riding a wild, undomesticated horse.
Too bad, camera or any photographing device was not invented yet.
So, no my picture riding this MH 744. But, she is still alive after some make-ups.

Last edited:
   / Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #57  
We pulled 3 16's with a JD 720 gas and could have used the old G if we needed to. The A had all it could handle with 2 14s in old hay ground. The 730D could do 4 14's without breathing hard.

Our neighbor pulled 3 16s with his Allis 170.

A Farmall 460 rowcrop would play with 3, we pulled 4 14's in 4th in stubble. Just made sure the gas barrel at home was topped up.

I pull 2 14's with my WD and a WD45 should have no problem whatsoever with 3.

A Cockshutt 40 should do 3, a 50 would do 4 14's easy.

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #58  
International WD9 or WD6 would make good pullers.:D

They were very popular tractors in the area in which I grew up.:D

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #59  
Never plowed with 'em but the late '50s early '60s Oliver 770 diesels were pretty impressive to operate. They had some kind of torque converter arrangement which you could engage under load with a big long lever. Dropped you down to to a lower 'gear' to get through a tough spot. When on the converter, they'd freewheel downhill. Went for a few wild rides on haywagons when the baler operator forgot he was on the converter.

The later Oliver 88's made in the '50s were pretty strong too. I think you'd want to look for a diesel, as the gassers would cost big bucks to operate. Don't remember 3PH on the one I used operate.

mmmmmm....Olivers....smooooth.

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #60  
I pull 4-14's, mounted with my JD 720D. We used a 4-16's pull plow on it growing up. I use 2-14's on my 520. A JD 620 would be matched to a 3-bottom.

Attachments

• TRACTOR SHOWS 2006 081.jpg
    TRACTOR SHOWS 2006 081.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 2,773