Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
Which 1950s and 1960s vintage tractors would you be looking at to handle a 14- or 16-inch triple bottom plow?

My soil is kinda gravely with occasional potato size rocks. For these conditions any reason to prefer a 3-pt plow setup to a pull-type rig? In other words, how important is draft control in this kind of soil?

Any favorite triple bottom plow models?

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #2  
I pulled a 3 bottom with my MF85.

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #3  

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #4  
My favorite tractor of all time, an Allis Chalmers WD45. You can find them in either gas or diesel and they are amazing tractors to run. Just the way the seat is mounted makes the experience so much more fun. You can get a 3 bottom snap coupler plow that Allis Chalmers made for these tractors and have a great setup. I have regretted selling mine ever since I said I would sell it:(

This WD45 is a gasser, you can tell the gas from the diesel as the diesel engine is longer and comes out to the front of the frame.

a105361.jpg

Here you can see the AC plow for the WD45

a24479.jpg

a26616.jpg

Or you can go to FWJ's house and borrow one of his Masseys and if he doesn't have a MF 3 bottom plow you can come to my house and borrow my MF 82 4-14, drop the 4th bottom, restore the plow and bring it back when you are done plowing :)

Yesterday Tractors site has some great pictures :)

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling
Robert_in_NY said:
My favorite tractor of all time, an Allis Chalmers WD45. You can find them in either gas or diesel and they are amazing tractors to run. Just the way the seat is mounted makes the experience so much more fun. You can get a 3 bottom snap coupler plow that Allis Chalmers made for these tractors and have a great setup. I have regretted selling mine ever since I said I would sell it:(

This WD45 is a gasser, you can tell the gas from the diesel as the diesel engine is longer and comes out to the front of the frame.

a105361.jpg

Here you can see the AC plow for the WD45

a24479.jpg

a26616.jpg

Or you can go to FWJ's house and borrow one of his Masseys and if he doesn't have a MF 3 bottom plow you can come to my house and borrow my MF 82 4-14, drop the 4th bottom, restore the plow and bring it back when you are done plowing :)

Yesterday Tractors site has some great pictures :)

Your WD45 is one sweet looking machine.

I checked the specs on that tractor and thought it was too small to pull a 3-14 plow. According to TractorData the WD45 is rated at 23-30 hp and 39hp max on the drawbar. I assume that's Nebraska test data.

I understand that the rule of thumb is 1 drawbar hp per inch of plow cut--so three 14" plows would cut a 42" wide path through the soil and would take around 40-45 drawbar hp. So wouldn't your WD45 pretty much be maxed out pulling a 3-14 plow? Looks from your photos that your 45 is handling that load OK. Maybe my rule of thumb needs modification. Any suggestions?

I penciled in the AC D-17 on my short list since its has 36 rated and 48 max drawbar hp and seemed to me to be the AC tractor I would need for this size plow.

AC made a ton of D-17s (~85,000) and WD-45s (~90,000) so I figure I'd have a good shot at finding one.

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #6  
I wish those were my tractors but they were from YT's site. I never understood the drawbar hp number but I do know the WD45 gasser I had was a beast for pulling and the diesel should be as good if not better. With the snap coupler 3 bottom plow you should be good to go and have a great looking show rig also.

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling
ToadHill said:

That's good to know.

The MF85 is on my short list of tractors to handle a 3-14 plow. Its rated at 55 hp on the drawbar, so I could probably handle a 3-16 plow without difficulty.

A MF85 would look real nice parked next to my 1964 MF-135 diesel.

A few months before I bought the MF-135 I had a chance to pick up a MF-90 locally (rated 60hp on the drawbar). It needed rewiring so I passed on it. Two months later I bought the 135 and a few months after that I completely replaced the gauges and wiring on that tractor. Go figure. Now I'm suffering regret that I didn't try harder to make a deal on that MF-90. Oh well, there's always another tractor deal coming down the road. Patience.

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #8  
Some of my favorite 3-plow tractors of the 60's and 70's. Massey 165/255/265. Ford 4000/4600. Deere 2520/2030/2440. IH574. Allis Chalmers 170/175. Oliver 1550/1555. Personal favorites, MF165, Ford 4000.

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #9  
You could always look for a MF 180, that would look even better next to the 135. Hook the 180 to a MF 82 plow and go to town.

Plus the MF180 having a standard 3pt hitch would be more useful as it can accept other 3pt equipment.

The WD45 is just a personal favorite of mine and if you ever meet someone who has one ask to take it for a spin. They are a lot of fun to operate as you sit so far back and you look down that long hood it is just a great time. Plus it is easy to hook up implements as you sit right over the drawbar.

This picture from TractorData.com kind of shows you just where the seat sits compared to the rear wheels.

177090.jpg

Most of these old tractors are a lot of fun if you fix them up good and match them up to a good plow you can work them or show them and have fun doing either. Most of the main line companies made or had plows made for them so you can match your rig together so it looks like it was meant to be.

Are you going to use this rig just for work or for show also?

/ Vintage tractor options for 3-bottom plow pulling #10  
Farmwithjunk said:
Some of my favorite 3-plow tractors of the 60's and 70's. Massey 165/255/265. Ford 4000/4600. Deere 2520/2030/2440. IH574. Allis Chalmers 170/175. Oliver 1550/1555. Personal favorites, MF165, Ford 4000.

But Bill, he was looking for tractors from the 50's and 60's. You need to update your list now:)

I wish I was in the position to buy another WD45 as I miss mine even more now that I am thinking about it. Maybe if I sell the AC B.....:)