Oliver 1550

/ Oliver 1550 #11  
Rich,
That's one heavy duty tractor! Looks like it'll be able to do some serious work. Glad your search is over.

Barry Mabery

/ Oliver 1550 #12  
Hi Barry,

Were you ever able to make it up to Salem's auction on 3/30? If so, what were your impressions. Heard from others here at TBN that quality of the machinery was somewhat sub-par.

Bob

/ Oliver 1550 #13  
Rich,

Congratulations! Looks like a real work horse. Is this the tractor you'll be using to do your hay baling?

BTW, my wife wanted me to ask you if she could buy some bales of hay from you...either old if you have them or from the new 2002 crop. She would like some for gardening and mulching purposes. She's found this helps with moisture retention in her plantings.

Bob

/ Oliver 1550
Thanks, Bob! Yep that's gonna be my hay tractor, its exactly what I was looking for.
When does your wife want the hay? I might have some spoiled round bales that she can use. I use the spoiled hay as mulch, and it works great since it's already starting to decompose. I'm not sure if we have any spoiled ones yet, but I'll check. Let me know when she needs it by. If we don't have any spoiled round bales, I can bring you over as many square bales as you want, I pick them up from a friend down the road who has a dairy farm for $2/bale. I'll be glad to get you as many as you need.

/ Oliver 1550 #16  
Rich,

<font color=blue>When does your wife want the hay?</font color=blue>

She's flexible. If you have a spoiled one or will have one in the next month or so, this should do. I can come over in the pick up and and we can drop it in the back. If you don't have spoiled ones, the square ones will do just fine @ $2/bale...I would say about six of them. Again, I can come over in the pick up and we can load those on the back. Let me know when it's good to come over...look forward to meeting you.

Bob

/ Oliver 1550 #17  
In my younger farm days, I have hauled a lot and I mean a LOT of pig-poop with the exact same tractor! sure brought back some memories seeing it in ur pic!

/ Oliver 1550
So, Paul, since you've had a lot of experience with the Oliver 1550, what do you think of it. Can you tell me good and bad points that you know of? I need to know as much as I can about my new tractor, especially since this is my first large agricultural tractor, and it sure feels huge to me! I'm used to my little Ferguson TO-20!

/ Oliver 1550
Just an update on my Oliver. The auctioneer/dealer I bought it from made good his promise and ordered me all the parts to fix the steering. It turned out the steering box was fine, but the steering column and other parts had to be replaced. All the parts were brand new!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif My mechanic put it all together, and it works beautifully! I can't believe how easy it is to steer such a big tractor, easier than my pickup with power steering!

I'm just getting used to operating such a big tractor. I'm still learning to use the FEL. I think I need to get a toothbar, because I have a lot of trouble picking up round bales of hay or horse manure. I think I have the bucket filled, and when I dump it, I've only picked up a tiny amount!/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif But I'm learning, and hope to be more comfortable on it in a few weeks, when we start haying!/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Oliver 1550 #20  
Hey Rich,

Congrats on the new addition!! Might want to wander over to the Oliver board at www.ytmag.com

Asfor your loader work. Just angle the bucket down a bit so it bites in some. I'd also suggest a bale spear,lot easier and a whole heck of a lot safer too!!