Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Cherry Valley, New York (near Cooperstown, NY)
    Tractor
    Kubota L4630, with cab and loader, 1951 Ferguson TO-20, 1986 Ford 5610 with loader

Default Oliver 1550

Well, I got my 50+ hp loader tractor! I got a 1967 Oliver 1550, with an Oliver loader on it, at an auction on Saturday. I spent a little more than I originally intended, but it was in real nice shape. It's got a six cylinder gas engine that purrs. As hard as it may be to believe, I prefer gas over diesel, so, I'm VERY happy. It does have some fixable problems, most notably, the steering is VERY loose. But I talked to my tractor mechanic, who is coming over to check it out this week, and he said it should be easily fixable.

I was pretty upset right after I won the bid on it, because someone came up and told me the steering box on it is shot, and a new one will cost at least $1000. (It turns out, that I think he was trying to sell me another Oliver!) But thanks, to my buddy John Miller III's urging, I talked to the auctioner (who is a dealer), and he promised me a new steering box for free if it needs one. My mechanic doubts I will though.

When I first won the bid, though, I was pretty nervous and upset and actually considered killing the deal. Luckily, John was with me, and he kept me from freaking out and having a heart attack!! But after speaking to several local farmers, my mechanic, and my local Temco parts dealer, during the past 2 days, I have been assured that I made a purchase of an excellent tractor for a very good price, in spite of needing some work. It should be ready to start working this weekend, and I'm psyched to start getting used to it.

It sure is big, compared to my little Fergeson TO-20, but I'll get used to it, and I can't wait to start learning!![img]/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif[/img]

My extreme thanks to JMIII, who, as usual, was there when I needed him!!!! Friends like him are VERY hard to find!!! He got his pants soaked helping me!!! I owe him, again!!!

Anyone on TBN have any experience with an Oliver 1550? I'd love to hear any comments, pro or con!!

Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    NH TC25D

Default Re: Oliver 1550

Rich, congrats on your new tractor. I look forward to seeing some pictures.

<font color=blue>He got his pants soaked helping me!!! </font color=blue>
    Er, um, would you care to elaborate? [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N

WOHOO!! Glad you found your self a "new" tractor. Hope all works out well with it. Just be carfull that fergie does not get mad becouse your spending to much time with the new one. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Veteran Member
    Tractor

Oh ya, lets see some pics. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Kubota B2630

Congrats Rich, There isnt nothing like old Iron to work with.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Satoh S650G, MF135, MF165, JD5205

Richie's New Oliver 1550
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    Satoh S650G, MF135, MF165, JD5205

Ummmmmmmmmmm... well the seat was very worn/ripped/ kinda just foam rubber... filled with yesterday's "rain"... now my wranglers "butt" contained the water... [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Richie... you're gonna buy that girl a brand new seat right...! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4630, with cab and loader, 1951 Ferguson TO-20, 1986 Ford 5610 with loader

Thanks for the picture John!!! I already have the new seat on order!!! I think I also have to order you a new pair of jeans!!!

Rich

Veteran Member
    Tractor

Thanks, Paul! I introduced Fergie to his new buddy Ollie. Fergie thinks Ollie is just a kid, but they get along great, since each of them will be getting a lot of use![img]/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Rich

Veteran Member
    Tractor

Thats it. Keep them happy, and they will keep you happy. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast