Super C, paint?

/ Super C, paint? #1  

coffeeman

Platinum Member
I cleaned up an old C that sat for 15 yrs without running. Threw a little oil in engine and rebuilt the carb. Put some power to it and it fired right up. Sat outside for all those years. Put new rims and tires and seat on it and painted it. Should have checked the base bolts that the seat is bolted to. It's been 2 years since I painted it. I left it in weather for those years. Now I notice dosn't have that Farmall red color anymore. It's sort of orange now. A real crummy color for a Farmall. I thought I got the real paint but now I wonder. Was this some cheap crap paint or has the paint changed due to new rules for paint etc.? By the way, I have C in garage now.

Warning!!! The seat base on my C is bolted to floor of tractor. While fixing up to paint the base looked like it was bolted down and sound. Well, my brother-in-law was driving the tractor up a hill and the seat base fell from tractor with the driver falling off too. The tractor continued up hill hitting a fence and stalling out. Lucky no one was hurt. What happened? The bolts holding the seat and base on were rusted through, but the rust was hidden. I can't imagine the people that have been killed or hurt by falling from some of these old less safe tractors. 50 - 60 years in service and many still in service. I can remember hanging from headlite and standing on drawbar while tractor pulling a wagon or other piece of equipment. Lots of the new safety things on new equipment are a pain; seat sensors, clutch sensors etc. But, I think we are safer because of them.

Cheers....Coffeeman

/ Super C, paint? #2  
That's probably normal paint fade. Red generally faded worse than other colors.

I once had to park a fresh painted JD outside for 2 yrs--it looked awful when I finally sold it.

ron