MF Industrial 35 High/Low stuck in neutral...

/ MF Industrial 35 High/Low stuck in neutral... #1  

aczlan

Good Morning
Tractor
Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660. Formerly: Case 480F LL, David Brown 880UE
today my dads old MF Industrial 35 was being used by my brother and he says that when he shifted from 1 to 2 the High/Low range shifter popped into neutral,
now it wont go into Low and if you try to put it into High it grinds the gear for a second then pops back into neutral.

I have found the following pages that seem to fit the description of his problem and offer a solution:
Similar problem in a MF-60
General Massey directions
is there anything I am missing???

for reference his tractor looks a lot like this MF-40
mf40.jpg

Thanks

Aaron Z

/ MF Industrial 35 High/Low stuck in neutral... #2  
Any difference if the main trans is in neutral ( or back in 1 ) when you try to shift the hi/low?

soundguy

/ MF Industrial 35 High/Low stuck in neutral...
Soundguy said:
Any difference if the main trans is in neutral ( or back in 1 ) when you try to shift the hi/low?
nope, no difference what (if any) gear the main tranny is in. also no difference if you try to shift into H/L with the engine off

Aaron Z

/ MF Industrial 35 High/Low stuck in neutral... #4  
aczlan said:
today my dads old MF Industrial 35 was being used by my brother and he says that when he shifted from 1 to 2 the High/Low range shifter popped into neutral,
now it wont go into Low and if you try to put it into High it grinds the gear for a second then pops back into neutral.

I have found the following pages that seem to fit the description of his problem and offer a solution:
Similar problem in a MF-60
General Massey directions
is there anything I am missing???

for reference his tractor looks a lot like this MF-40
mf40.jpg

Thanks

Aaron Z

Email Big Dean Austin at

Big Dean's Massey Ferguson tips

He knows MF equipment in and out and has helped me with problems on my 1964 MF-135 diesel. He'll be able to spot the trouble in a wink.

/ MF Industrial 35 High/Low stuck in neutral...
we ended up talking to Big Dean yesterday, he said to pull the lift cover which we did and it worked, it was the gear in the planetary Hi/Lo as Big Dean said on his website, however due to a miscommunication (mainly my fault) when it was welded they ran a bead all the way around the seam instead of tacking it in 4-6 places, as a result the gear expanded and now doesnt fit, we had to get another one, fortunately we found one on Ebay for $75...

thanks to those who responded.

Aaron Z