MF 44 windrower-more found treasure

/ MF 44 windrower-more found treasure #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
My neighbor's been trying to get rid of this old swather for a quite while. He dragged it out of the shed a few months ago to make room for some of his other stuff.

Engine spins but needs work. So I said I'll take it-- how much. He says it's yours and I'll help you move it to your place (about 1/4 mile away).

The reel measures a nominal 12-ft wide.

DSCF0211Small.jpg

The engine is a gasser. Don't know the HP. My neighbor has the manuals.

There's a crimper attachment (it's removable) on the output end to condition the hay, if necessary.

DSCF0212Small.jpg

The rubberized canvas drapes need to be replaced. Fortunately my neighbor has spares.

DSCF0217Small.jpg

He says that these windrowers have a problem with hay cuttings getting between the drapes and the rollers. I'm sure someone has figured out a fix for this glitch.

Since the hydraulics aren't available, looks like I'll have to jack up the head and chain it into place so it can be moved without dragging the sicklebar on the roadbed.

It needs a lot of work. However, the reel and sicklebar mechanisms are pretty simple. There's not much to the hydraulics, transmission and drive mechanisms. Getting the engine running will be chore, but fortunately my neighbor is a whiz with all kinds of engines. This is going to be a fun project.

My collection of old MF stuff is growing--1964 MF-135 diesel, MF-124 baler and now this thingy.

/ MF 44 windrower-more found treasure #2  
What engine are you dealing with? (I'm thinking some of those had gas engines, maybe Chrysler slant 6?????) Or is it a Perkins diesel? (and what size)

/ MF 44 windrower-more found treasure #3  
Dad had one of them in the 10 foot flavor when I was a kid. Great fun when a final drive chain broke and wadded up between the bottom of the case and the driven sprocket. But it mowed a lot of hay from 1964 until the 479 came along.

/ MF 44 windrower-more found treasure
What engine are you dealing with? (I'm thinking some of those had gas engines, maybe Chrysler slant 6?????) Or is it a Perkins diesel? (and what size)

It's a Continental F140 4-cyl flathead gasser.

DSCF0011Small.jpg

DSCF0005Small.jpg

DSCF0007Small.jpg

That engine is used in a number of MH/MF products including the MH Model 23 Mustang tractor and is rated at 24 hp at 1800 rpm

www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/9828/mh_quick.pdf

Engine hasn't been run for 40 years.
Oh boy!! This is really going to be a fun project.

/ MF 44 windrower-more found treasure #5  
Do you know if these machines are any good?, and how much should a running one cost? I'm looking at the possibility of getting one and was hoping for a bit more info before spending any hard earned cash.

/ MF 44 windrower-more found treasure #6  
Do you know if these machines are any good?, and how much should a running one cost? I'm looking at the possibility of getting one and was hoping for a bit more info before spending any hard earned cash.

They were a decent machine 50 years ago. Whether any of them left around in 2012 are any good is anyone's guess.

I can't imagine any reason to pay much more than scrap value for one.

/ MF 44 windrower-more found treasure #7  
Thanks for that info RickB. Are parts available for them or would it be a case of searching for hen's teeth?