No Oil Pressure

/ No Oil Pressure #1  

Jim518N381813

I am getting no oil pressure. I checked the pick up tube and it is tight.
I changed the oil and used 1 qt first of 90 wt machine oil and the regular oil
No oil pressure after a minute of run.
I took off the line that goes to the side of the filter and there was no oil coming out of it.
Does this mean I have a bad oil pump? If so how can it be fixed?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Jim 51 8N381813:(

/ No Oil Pressure #2  
What sort of machine is this ?

A one minute run with no oil pressure may have sealed the fate of this engine .

Did it happen after the oil change ? Was it alright before hand ? You will need to fill the filter with oil to prime the pump , oil pumps are not good as vacuum pumps .

/ No Oil Pressure #3  
I am getting no oil pressure. I checked the pick up tube and it is tight.
I changed the oil and used 1 qt first of 90 wt machine oil and the regular oil
No oil pressure after a minute of run.
I took off the line that goes to the side of the filter and there was no oil coming out of it.
Does this mean I have a bad oil pump? If so how can it be fixed?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Jim 51 8N381813:(

I am assumming that the 8N reference in your signature is in relation to an 8N.

Just some data found on the Internet for FORD 8N

You may have lost the pump prime. This can happen when a tractor has been sitting for a period of time without being started. It usually happens because the oil pump pickup tube has come loose or the gasket on the oil pump is bad and the pump is "sucking air" rather than pulling oil up from the sump. Worn gears in the oil pump can cause it, too. It's a sign that something in the oil pump area needs attention. The easiest way I've found to prime the pump and get it going again is to remove the oil pressure relief valve from the front of the engine. It is a 15/16" nut on the top front of the timing cover just below the water pump. Remove the nut and pull out the spring and valve poppet. Get a trigger type squirt oil can and put the nozzle in the hole that the valve poppet goes into. Squirt several shots of motor oil into the hole. This oil will run down into the top side of the oil pump and collect on the pump gears. This is usually enough to prime the pump. Replace the poppet and spring and nut and fire it up. You should get oil pressure back again and may be able to delay the repairs indefinitely. If not, or if your oil pressure suddenly dropped to zero while the engine was running, remove the oil drain plug and verify that the pump pickup tube is still intact. It could have broken off at the pump which is above the oil level in the pan.

There are a couple things you could check first. make sure your Gage is working properly and that the line going to it is not blocked or plugged. also there is an oil pressure relief valve that screws into the front of the block on the timing cover. you will notice it has bigger head that the rest of the bolts. there is a spring in there,check and see if it is broken or something amiss. the oil pump is part of the front main bearing lower cap. hope this helps.

Last edited:
   / No Oil Pressure #4  
Does this happen to be an 8N Ford? If so, you need to prime the pump/filter to get the system pumping. Common malady with oil changes....

Also, why the 90 wt oil in the engine?

/ No Oil Pressure #5  
Does this happen to be an 8N Ford? If so, you need to prime the pump/filter to get the system pumping. Common malady with oil changes....

Also, why the 90 wt oil in the engine?

some will pull the oil pump relief plunger on the front of the engine and squirt an ounce or so of some 90wt or 140wt oil in there to goop up the gears to reprime.. but to add it to the crankcase? i can't imagine why???

Besides.. in a minute of no oil.. I'll bet the owner is dopping the pan to replalce mains and rods shells, and mic the crank and look at the cam anyway.. at least i would.. etc..

soundguy