starting an old tractor for the first time in 15 years

/ starting an old tractor for the first time in 15 years #1  

electricvet

Tractor
1957 case 400
My Father-in-law has recently given me a 1957 case 400 tractor. The tractor was "rebuilt" in the late 80'sand then was parked in the mid 90's inside a shed. He states that it ran fine the day it was parked. To shorten this story, what is the best steps in getting this thing started? I only know that it is a gas engine, I do not know if it is a 6 volt or 12 volt system (it will need a battery first thing), The tractor is about five hours away and I would like to try and get it running in a weekend so I can drive it on a trailer and bring it home! Any help would be great!

/ starting an old tractor for the first time in 15 years #2  
With Antiques...

We always change the fluids and filters... after checking to make sure the motor isn't frozen with a large socket on a cheater bar or rocking the vehicle back and forth in 3rd or 4th gear.

When it does start... we never let the engine run for more that a few minutes while listen and looking for problems and checking the gauges.

You may need to set up an alternative fuel source... no telling what's in the tank.

Sound like a fun project!

/ starting an old tractor for the first time in 15 years
hey thanks, now another question, the tractor needs a battery sooo, how do I tell if it a 6 volt or 12 volt system? Thanks for any help!

/ starting an old tractor for the first time in 15 years #4  
Normal lead acid batterys are 2 volts per cell. Each cell needs it's own fill cap
so a 6 volt battery had 3 caps and a 12 volt has 6 caps.

OK that info is good, but the tractor has no battery in it as it was "robbed" a long time ago, how can I tell if it a 6 volt system or 12 volt system? Is there some trick or maybe a label on the generator? Also in reading on this website, there has been some mention of a positve ground system, would this apply to me or not?

/ starting an old tractor for the first time in 15 years #6  
My Father-in-law has recently given me a 1957 case 400 tractor. The tractor was "rebuilt" in the late 80'sand then was parked in the mid 90's inside a shed. He states that it ran fine the day it was parked. To shorten this story, what is the best steps in getting this thing started? I only know that it is a gas engine, I do not know if it is a 6 volt or 12 volt system (it will need a battery first thing), The tractor is about five hours away and I would like to try and get it running in a weekend so I can drive it on a trailer and bring it home! Any help would be great!

TractorData says it's 6V.

TractorData.com J.I. Case 400 tractor information

If you're sure it's a gasser, then it's a Case 400B (37 hp pto) with a 4-cyl Case-built engine.
The Case 400 is the diesel version.

It's fairly heavy (3900 lb), but you might be able to winch it onto your trailer if you can't get it running.

I would remove the plugs and rock the tractor by pushing on the rear tires to see if the engine is stuck (watch the fan for motion).

Clean or replace the spark plugs. Ask your FIL to check the type of plug that's in the tractor now and get a new set if you don't want to spend time cleaning and gapping the old plugs.

Bring some 10W40 motor oil and an oil filter and do an oil change. Your NAPA store can ID the filter for you.

Fill the radiator with water.

Drain the old gas, if any, from the tank. Add fresh fuel if you think the tank is clean. Otherwise rig up gas delivery from a temporary 1 gallon container. Clean the sediment out of the fuel filter bowl.

My guess is that it's a 4-cyl flat head engine with an updraft carburetor. You need to make sure the carburetor is feeding gas to the cylinders. You may have to remove the carburetor, connect the fuel line and work the throttle linkage to see if you're getting gas flow.

Try to start it. You may get lucky and get it running.

However, if it's like my 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF that I bought last Jan, the engine compression will be nearly zero. If it doesn't start, do a quick compression test on the cylinders to see if there's any hope of getting it going. If not, you'll be winching it onto your trailer.

hey thanks for the info and the link1 I will be heading up there in two weeks to claim my "prize" so I will return with many more questions in the future!

/ starting an old tractor for the first time in 15 years #8  
What do you have for a trailer and tow vehicle?

/ starting an old tractor for the first time in 15 years #9  
I'm surrounded by 4 JDs but mine is the only lot with 3 Kubotas .

Personally if it is not frozen I pull the coil wire and either try to pump up the pressure by the starter or I pull it a little. I have even been known to put some top lube in and keep the plugs out a little while.

Old pony motor/ dozer trick that adds life to motors. 90% of engine wear in non-lugging situations is at the start up. I usually spin any motor a little with the gas off if it has not been started in a little.

/ starting an old tractor for the first time in 15 years #10  
put some atf oil inthe cyls and let set a bit then spin by hand to make sure nothing is siezed.. do an oil and filter change too, before starting..

soundguy