Allis Chalmers G

/ Allis Chalmers G #1  

bjr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma JM354
does anyone use one these tractors and can you do useful work with 10 hp? I admit the cultvision would useful, but 10 hp? Are they still around and what could a fellow expect to pay for one that runs? Are they watercooled or aircooled? I do some small gardens and have been asked to do some cultivating, but as of right now I'm just not set up with cutivators. I have a JM354 tractor and it looks to be a bear to make into a front cultivator tractor. bjr

/ Allis Chalmers G #2  
My brother and I have a G. It was purchased by my grandfather in the 1950's, and had a mechanical restoration in the 1980's. We do not use the tractor much now, as neither of us garden, but our father used it after the restoration.

They are water-cooled, I believe. The tractor is a great garden machine. We have the matched set of one bottom plows (they work like a roll-over plow), cultivators, and a hiller. The attachments are a bear to change, but they do their job perfectly. I don't think there is anything better to hill potatoes.

Ours has not been started in a couple of years. Your post has me thinking I should get ours out and drive it around.

Will

/ Allis Chalmers G #3  
"Cultivision" is a Farmall thing with the offset engine on the model A and cub, etc. These where a much better design for cultivation which is why they lasted much longer and sold many times more. The G's are just a cute novelty that appeals to collectors and are priced way beyond thier usefulness because so few of them were produced.

/ Allis Chalmers G #4  
My Dad has a '49 model G. He and I both use it all the time to lay off rows and cultivate our gardens. He has had it for several years. Over the years we have raised burly tobacco and pepper using the little G to cultivate both. I like it because you basically set right on top of what you are cultivating.

They make a more modern version of the G style of tractor that you can buy today. You can find it here Tuff-bilt Tractor System - Affordable and Innovative

/ Allis Chalmers G #5  
I think the Cub is a better garden truck cultivator as there is no center post to look around. Both were good and for that they were good for they are not toys.

I have driven both and wished I had bought a G a few years ago when I found one reasonable. It is correct that the G is over priced now.

/ Allis Chalmers G #6  
I have a G.. you can usually buy units needing resoration in the 3000-5000$ range. and restored units in the 4000-6000$ range.

10 hp is what you get... it will pull a small plow.. and is generally decent with rear and mid cultivators.

I have a woods belly mower for mine.. some people use sickle bar mowers.. etc.

deffinately water cooled.. rad is back by gas tank and seat.

mines restored and waxed and inthe garage!

soundguy

/ Allis Chalmers G #7  
If your wanting one thats a little more maodern versin of the G look into a Tuffbilt tractor.. Roland matthews bought them out and modernized them with a better gear ratio and a newer engine gas or diesel and electric and with many available modifications. Hes located in Brent AL. Ive talked to him several times aabout an older one Im about to buy if I can get it right. I know a fellow that has an older one. They have over 20 attachments built for farm work 2 3 point hitches mid mount and a rear one. They are Air cooled and hydrostatic.

/ Allis Chalmers G
I looked at those tractors and they're cute. I just don't want to pay for all the Hydrostatic transmission parts. I would way rather have manual transmission with a clutch. Yes, it's got to be geared correctly for row crop cultivation. The hydraulic stuff is fine until it's repair time and then the parts are outragious, been there. I won't have hydrastatic drive on the place again. bjr

/ Allis Chalmers G #9  
I looked at those tractors and they're cute. I just don't want to pay for all the Hydrostatic transmission parts. I would way rather have manual transmission with a clutch. Yes, it's got to be geared correctly for row crop cultivation. The hydraulic stuff is fine until it's repair time and then the parts are outragious, been there. I won't have hydrastatic drive on the place again. bjr

Has anyone ever tried doing this the 'shade tree' way. If one could find a suitable final drive with tranny, and mount a hydraulic motor to that input shaft. Then it is simple to control and the power source is infinitely variable.

Putting the hydraulics on the drive wheels just ads expense and stress.

/ Allis Chalmers G #10  
If you every raised radishes, carrots, or herbs commercially the G was the tractor you would want to culivate the plants. They were geared to be slow and you could get close to your work and not cover up your plants. In New Jersey, the Garden State, G's were extremely popular in the 50's and 60's.

We had a dairy farm but our neighbors grew small vegetables and used the G alot.

If Soundguy is correct on the price today I wish I had bought a few back in the 50's I could make a killing today.

Production:
Manufacturer: Allis Chalmers

Factory: Gadsden, Alabama, USA

Total built: 29,976

Original price: $970 (1955)

Don