Air Tools / Compressor Question

/ Air Tools / Compressor Question #1  

tderrick

Silver Member
Tractor
L3901 , Ford 8N and 640
Are any of you guys running an impact wrench, putting a filter or an oiler inline between the wrench and the compressor?

Just light duty no sanders or grinders yet...

/ Air Tools / Compressor Question #2  
I have an inline filter, but no oiler, I just sray a shot of wd40 in my air tools here and there. The only bad thing about oilers is if you do any painting you don't want oil in the air or hoses.

/ Air Tools / Compressor Question #3  
I have an inline filter, but no oiler, I just sray a shot of wd40 in my air tools here and there. The only bad thing about oilers is if you do any painting you don't want oil in the air or hoses.

Exactly, if you plan to paint only oil the individual tools or get a seperate paint compressor. as for filters I always leave a felt disc filter on the compressor and open its drain valve first then the tank drain valve.
If I leave the filter valve closed I cant seem to keep it dry, no matter how often I drain the tank.

/ Air Tools / Compressor Question #4  
I just sray a shot of wd40 in my air tools here and there

That's better than nothing, but air tool oil is cheap and better than WD-40.

As the others have said, the inline oiler isn't good if you use that same hose and compressor for painting, but I also use my compressor a great deal for blowing out dust, debris, leaves, grass clippings, etc. so the oil would not be good there either.

/ Air Tools / Compressor Question
I Bought an Ingersol-Rand 231c impact wrench... There is an inverted fitting
on the back that looks like input of a Zirc, but there is no fitting. Just a little
concave area with the fitting in the middle.

What type of oiler tool do I need to get oil in that bugger?

/ Air Tools / Compressor Question #6  
on the back that looks like input of a Zirc, but there is no fitting. Just a little

I get many wierdo looks and, have walked away pretty sure 'that person must think im a druggy' But I keep every 'clean' hypadermic needle/ syringe I can get. for just that purpose. and they are great for injecting XPL into trouble bearings etc.

/ Air Tools / Compressor Question #7  

That is a grease fitting so you use grease instead of oil. You need a needle nosed grease gun for it. I used to use one like the Mini Grease Gun from Harbor Freight, but now I have just the needle nosed gadget with a regular zerk on the back so it just fits into the nose of my regular grease gun. Of course Ingersoll-Rand sells their own grease that I like best for air tools, but as with other oils and grease, any grease is better than nothing. On that 231, the grease goes into the back and greases the rear bearing, then through the hollow center of the rotor to the front bearing and on into the back end of the anvil and out two holes on the sides of the anvil to grease the hammers.

/ Air Tools / Compressor Question
A needle nosed grease gun... Learn something new everyday!

Is there a special type of grease? or will regular high temp auto bearing grease work... I would hate to mix the two.

I should find out what type IR recommends...

thanks, Bird

/ Air Tools / Compressor Question #10  
A needle nosed grease gun... Learn something new everyday!

Is there a special type of grease? or will regular high temp auto bearing grease work... I would hate to mix the two.

I should find out what type IR recommends...

thanks, Bird

I think you'll find that most mechanics who grease their air tools just use whatever grease they have in their grease gun, but yes, there is a special type. I don't know how to describe it, but Ingersoll-Rand Type 100 Air Tool Grease is what I used when working on air tools. It's cleaner, not stringy or sticky like some grease.