John Deer 40

/ John Deer 40 #1  

kiddco

OK guys, my boys just purchased a 1953 John Deere 40 to restore for an FFA project. I know nothing about tractors but they're getting some pretty good guidance from their FFA instructor. Looks like I'm the designated "parts acquisition" guy. The tractor runs but does not charge the battery so it looks like I'll be needing a generator (I guess) and will also need one front wheel, lights, gauges, and, I'm sure, assorted other stuff. My internet searches have turned up all kinds of places that sell parts, etc. but would appreciate some input from people who have done this before and can direct me towards some reliable vendors. Thanks in advance for your help.

/ John Deer 40 #2  
Are you SURE that the charging system is a fault here, and you don't have a defective battery that won't hold a charge? Just trying to maybe save you some money, have you had the battery load tested? (done free at most franchise auto partts stores.)

/ John Deer 40
Yes, the battery has been load tested and is good. Thanks for the suggestion but I doubt I'll save much of anything on this project!

/ John Deer 40 #4  
JD has fairly excelent parts support, if you can afford it :) everything I needed for a 50 JD-B was in stock.

gennies.. unless it is completely shelled out they can usually be rebuilt.. not much more in there but brushes, bearings and bushings.. fields are replaceable.. and so is the armature/comutator/shaft assy.

heck.. might just need polerization... that or a new regulator.

not knowing if it is a circuit or B circuit.. I'd disconnect the vreg field wire and then jump battery hot to the armature connection.

then try it out.

soundguy

/ John Deer 40 #5  
Kiddco- Welcome aboard TBN, but careful. you'll end up a 'tractor-nut' like the rest of us! Here's a starter link. There's a ton of "Johnney Popper" sites I use, having just bought a 1947 Model "M". Take a look here: Electrical Info ~Scotty

/ John Deer 40 #6  
OK guys, my boys just purchased a 1953 John Deere 40 to restore for an FFA project. I know nothing about tractors but they're getting some pretty good guidance from their FFA instructor. Looks like I'm the designated "parts acquisition" guy. The tractor runs but does not charge the battery so it looks like I'll be needing a generator (I guess) and will also need one front wheel, lights, gauges, and, I'm sure, assorted other stuff. My internet searches have turned up all kinds of places that sell parts, etc. but would appreciate some input from people who have done this before and can direct me towards some reliable vendors. Thanks in advance for your help.

The JD 40 is an excellent candidate for restoration and is on my wishlist (maybe Santa will come through this year). My present restoration project (a 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF tractor) should be finished by then and I'll be looking for a new project.

/ John Deer 40 #7  
Did anyone find a source for JD40 parts or hardware? I have a friend looking for a front blade