Standard Monarch

/ Standard Monarch #1  

CR172

Silver Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota GR2110, 69 Ford 3000
I just acquired an old Standard Monarch. According to the serial number it is a 1940's model. The engine uses a magneto, not a buzz coil and battery. I'd like to restore it and get it running again. Anyone know where I can find information on the engine and tractor itself? I've searched all over, but keep coming up with dead ends. I believe the only parts that are missing is the air filter and the crank handle. I believe I could fab a crank handle from a 5/8" or so deep socket, if I knew what the end of it looked like.

/ Standard Monarch #2  
I just acquired an old Standard Monarch. According to the serial number it is a 1940's model. The engine uses a magneto, not a buzz coil and battery. I'd like to restore it and get it running again. Anyone know where I can find information on the engine and tractor itself? I've searched all over, but keep coming up with dead ends. I believe the only parts that are missing is the air filter and the crank handle. I believe I could fab a crank handle from a 5/8" or so deep socket, if I knew what the end of it looked like.

Are you sure about the name? I can't find "Standard Monarch" in any of my tractor reference books. A photo of your tractor would help a lot.

/ Standard Monarch #3  
I believe I could fab a crank handle from a 5/8" or so deep socket, if I knew what the end of it looked like.

Be carefull fabing the handle. You need one that is kicked off as the engine starts.:D

/ Standard Monarch
Are you sure about the name? I can't find "Standard Monarch" in any of my tractor reference books. A photo of your tractor would help a lot.

The name tag says Monarch by Standard Engine Company, or something like that. I'll get some pics up as soon as I can.

/ Standard Monarch
Be carefull fabing the handle. You need one that is kicked off as the engine starts.:D

That's why I said "if I knew what the end looked like. I was also thinking if it were a rachet, it would free spin.... Could be wrong though....

/ Standard Monarch
Here is the only picture I have available at this time. Will post others later.

tiller1.jpg

/ Standard Monarch
Thanks Flusher.
I've found that site and asked questions. They sent me some links that no longer work. If I could just get some close up pics of things and the end of the crank handle...... Very frustrating..... Hard to belive that there isn't more information than what I've found.

We had to haul it back about 120 miles or so...... can you tell we didn't want it going anywhere with all the straps?:eek:

/ Standard Monarch
I guess this is an odd bird...... Not much info to be found about them and the engines....:confused::(

/ Standard Monarch #10  
We just uncovered a 1944 Standard Monarch. We have the crank and it turns over properly but doesn't start. We haven't monkeyed with it at all. We could take a picture of the crank and send it. Our's looks like a larger socket than 5/8's. The end is designed to turn one direction and skip tooth the other direction as to not bind up if the motor fires.