Case 400 Diesel: to buy or not to buy

/ Case 400 Diesel: to buy or not to buy #1  

jkhinch

Hi! I'm considering a Case 400 Diesel with a loader. Rubber all looks new, and it visually looks well maintained. However - this is a long distance auction. Auction details say there's no battery but the tractor runs when push started. Of course I have no idea how the auction will end, but I've got a feeling I'll be able to pick this up pretty cheap...any thoughts on what you might expect something like this to cost today?

PS. My purchase goals, other than runs & cheap are loader for firewood and the ability to mow with a 3pt. I'm in Michigan, so it does get cold in the winter. Any comments are appreciated as I am new at this! Josh

Last edited:
   / Case 400 Diesel: to buy or not to buy #2  
Hi! I'm considering a Case 400 Diesel with a loader. Rubber all looks new, and it visually looks well maintained. However - this is a long distance auction. Auction details say there's no battery but the tractor runs when push started. Of course I have no idea how the auction will end, but I've got a feeling I'll be able to pick this up pretty cheap...any thoughts on what you might expect something like this to cost today?

PS. My purchase goals, other than runs & cheap are loader for firewood and the ability to mow with a 3pt. I'm in Michigan, so it does get cold in the winter. Any comments are appreciated as I am new at this! Josh

That 400 was made between 1955-59 so it's pretty old iron. You need to get it running before you make an offer. Don't rely on someone's word that it will run with a push start. If there's a problem with the high pressure fuel injection pump, repairs or replacement could run into big bucks.

Check it out in all the gears and be sure the loader hydraulics work.

TractorData says that 400 came with the Case Eagle hitch. See this link for details on that hitch

Yesterday's Tractors - Discussion Forum

You need to make sure that hitch works OK and that it will accommodate your implements.

Never, ever buy an old tractor sight unseen. So far I've bought 3 oldies--1964 MF 135 diesel (runs OK, needs clutch work), 1951 Farmall Super A (runs OK, won't shift into 1st), and 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF. The guy who sold me the BF said it was running a few months before but the starter was bad. I took him at his word, paid $1300 and had it hauled to my place. Turns out the starter is fine, but there was zero compression on 3 of the 4 cylinders. $1600 for a complete engine rebuild. I'm not complaining because I really wanted that BF (it's a fairly rare tractor) to restore as a parade tractor. But it illustrates how much BS is involved in selling old tractors.

/ Case 400 Diesel: to buy or not to buy
Thanks a lot for the tips. I read through the forum on the Eagle hitch - will an Eagle fit to a newer 3pnt implement such as a mower?

I'm not going to bid much more on this tractor, because of the inability to get to it to hear it. I did call down and talk with someone at the auction house, but like you say, its hard to know when your getting the real story...much less when not even buying from the former user!

/ Case 400 Diesel: to buy or not to buy #4  
Thanks a lot for the tips. I read through the forum on the Eagle hitch - will an Eagle fit to a newer 3pnt implement such as a mower?

!

Don't know--never owned a Case tractor with the Eagle hitch. That's why it's important to eyeball the tractor you're interested in before making a deal.

/ Case 400 Diesel: to buy or not to buy
Thanks for bringin' me back to Earth...I took your advice. Spring fever has hit me hard this year - can't believe I was looking at a 60 yr old piece of iron w/out hearing it run! Think I'll wait a month for the fever to wear off and then get back to tractor shopping!