Looking for some info/advice on a tractor I Inherited (Massey Harris)

/ Looking for some info/advice on a tractor I Inherited (Massey Harris) #1  

mogwild

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Fergunson 265 Diesel
I started in this thread

And was suggested I come to the vintage forum, so Here I am.

We purchased an acreage from my father in law. He included both Tractors, ones a Massey Ferguson 265 diesel, which I've used. The other is a "Massey Harris" Twin-Power 102cc Senior. I now know a bit more about it, but I'm still looking for any and all info on it.

I think its a 1946, there's a number case in under the seat area that says 4 1946

It was also mentioned it was probably originally 6 volt, but after we pulled it out of the pole shed its sat in for as long as I can remember, I see it has a 12volt generator on it.

Also it was sugjuested perhaps the "Twin Power" means it runs on Gasoline and/or distillate, but I can't see two fuel tanks, so I'm not sure

I also note that the exhaust manifold is cracked.

Anyway, if its worth getting running, I'd like to use it to pull a gang reel mower, I noticed it has a PTO, and a ?drag link? (not sure what that type of hitch is called).

Thanks.

Trev

Oh, and if its not obvious, I'm quite green to the world of tractors, so please excuse my learning curve, and butchering the terminology.

Attachments

• 1946 Massey Harris (5).JPG
    1946 Massey Harris (5).JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 1946 Massey Harris (6).JPG
    1946 Massey Harris (6).JPG
    198 KB · Views: 147
  • 1946 Massey Harris (14).JPG
    1946 Massey Harris (14).JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 1946 Massey Harris (16).JPG
    1946 Massey Harris (16).JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 1946 Massey Harris (26).JPG
    1946 Massey Harris (26).JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 1946 Massey Harris (22).JPG
    1946 Massey Harris (22).JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 1946 Massey Harris (21).JPG
    1946 Massey Harris (21).JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 1946 Massey Harris (20).JPG
    1946 Massey Harris (20).JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 1946 Massey Harris (34).JPG
    1946 Massey Harris (34).JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 1946 Massey Harris (33).JPG
    1946 Massey Harris (33).JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 1946 Massey Harris (30).JPG
    1946 Massey Harris (30).JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 1946 Massey Harris (29).JPG
    1946 Massey Harris (29).JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 1946 Massey Harris (35).JPG
    1946 Massey Harris (35).JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 252
  • 1946 Massey Harris (36).JPG
    1946 Massey Harris (36).JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 1946 Massey Harris (42).JPG
    1946 Massey Harris (42).JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 320
  • 1946 Massey Harris (45).JPG
    1946 Massey Harris (45).JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 162
   / Looking for some info/advice on a tractor I Inherited (Massey Harris) #2  
OK, now I'm drooling even more than I was on the old thread!:thumbsup:

What a beautiful machine.

/ Looking for some info/advice on a tractor I Inherited (Massey Harris)
Well I figured since its 12volt, I'd hook my Unimog up to it and try to boost it, It cranked but didn't start, here's what I discovered

There's defiantly spark, I got a wee jolt when removing one of the plug wires to see if it's sparking, and I've figure out what most of the things on the dash panel do. All the lights work. I have to *assume* that turning the key clockwise is on, regardless, it didn't fire in either direction

I've labeled the picture for future reference, in case anyone else runs into one.

I've also found the throttle and choke, but still no fire.

I'm thinking the fuel in the tank is old old old, but I don't know what to fill it with :)

Also found the cool sliding toolbox on the back (seen in the pictures) no vintage tools in it however

Attachments

• Buttons and Gauges.jpg
    Buttons and Gauges.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 147
   / Looking for some info/advice on a tractor I Inherited (Massey Harris) #4  
Well I figured since its 12volt, I'd hook my Unimog up to it and try to boost it, It cranked but didn't start, here's what I discovered

There's defiantly spark, I got a wee jolt when removing one of the plug wires to see if it's sparking, and I've figure out what most of the things on the dash panel do. All the lights work. I have to *assume* that turning the key clockwise is on, regardless, it didn't fire in either direction

I've labeled the picture for future reference, in case anyone else runs into one.

I've also found the throttle and choke, but still no fire.

I'm thinking the fuel in the tank is old old old, but I don't know what to fill it with :)

Also found the cool sliding toolbox on the back (seen in the pictures) no vintage tools in it however

The first pic that I clicked on was the one with both the Unimog and the tractor. Took me a minute of double drooling to get back on track with drooling over the tractor.:laughing:

Well, I just got off the phone with someone from our local antique tractor club, but wasn't able to get any info to help. I guess the guy who really knows the Massey Harris tractors is on his death bed. I gave it a try at least.

Hopefully someone with some real knowledge will jump in.

Well I appreciate you trying.

I only see the one fuel tank on it, so I'd have to assume its single fuel, though I could be missing something.

Everything seems to be well greased, and the PTO spins freely by hand, and all the linkage's ect work good, I'd have to say it ran in the not to distant past.

/ Looking for some info/advice on a tractor I Inherited (Massey Harris) #6  
Well I appreciate you trying.

I only see the one fuel tank on it, so I'd have to assume its single fuel, though I could be missing something.

Everything seems to be well greased, and the PTO spins freely by hand, and all the linkage's ect work good, I'd have to say it ran in the not to distant past.

What does the inside of the fuel tank smell like? Do gasoline and kerosine have different smells?

/ Looking for some info/advice on a tractor I Inherited (Massey Harris) #7  
Try to bleed of a sample of fuel as this might help you know what fuel it last ran on. Fuel in the tank could be very old so i would drain what is there before the engine gets "gunked" up Also looks to me to be a flathead six ...see if you can find any engine mfg info on the block

Your asking a fellow with very little sense of smell ;)

But I think there's a fuel delivery issue.

I took the fuel bowl off to smell it (again, can't smell, but smelled to me like Varsol paint thinner, so maybe old gasoline?) and emptied it.

I put it back on, and opened the drain/fill cock (I think that's what the butterfly screw thing is for?) and the bowl didn't fill back up. (See second pic) It was only 3/4 full before I took it off.

Or is that butterfly valve for draining the tank? In any event, no action open or closed.

Good news though, while cranking the oil pressure gauge pumps up a bit, so I know there's oil pressure (I checked for oil level before moving the tractor of course)

-Trev

Attachments

• DSCN4223.JPG
    DSCN4223.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCN4224.JPG
    DSCN4224.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 155
   / Looking for some info/advice on a tractor I Inherited (Massey Harris) #9  
Use a flashlight and take a look in the bottom of the tank around where the fuel bowl attaches. Maybe there's some junk clogging the pickup. Or it might just be empty?

Nope, there's fuel in there.

Well wife said gasoline, so I decide to do the redneck approach, I have a fresh (today) clean Jerry can of gas, and I unhooked the supply line, and put it in the tank, No luck with the tank sitting on the ground, so I elevated it (yeah, that's in on the tire...I can't hide my red neck :( ) and she fired right up!

Next task, drain the tank, clean the tank-fuel bowl thing, and see if she drives. :thumbsup: