60's Cases

/ 60's Cases #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
60\'s Cases

Anouther post got me thinking of this. Anyone have any experance with the old Case tractors from the 60's? I have always like the bug eye'd look, with the tan, and red. Are they good tractors? Any problems with them? I have seen a few different sizes, any of them around the size, or a little bigger then the Ford "N"'s? The one I saw was a 430 I think. Thanks.

/ 60's Cases
Re: 60\'s Cases

Heres a picture I found of one on Yesterdays tractors.

a8828.jpg

/ 60's Cases #3  

Case has a good pulling tractor..Case 570 Super..diesel fuel,even weight thru out the tractor,and great low end power.

/ 60's Cases

Ya Thomas, I had herd that they were a strong tractor. Just never sold like the JD, Fords, etc.

/ 60's Cases #5  

The best hay baler tractor of all time is a Model VA Case....or maybe it was VAC....anyway, they were easy to get up and down from the back, had a GAS PEDAL which was a huge help in pulling the baler, and they were easy to shift in and out of gear when you got on and off sixty kazillion times. I baled my way through college with a VA Case that I paid 150 bucks for in disabled condition./ The guy who had it swore the engine was good. It had a broken steering box as so many had. The fix for that tractor was steering box braces, cutting six inches out of the steering wheel stem, and installing a comfy seat. This tractor had the optional belt pulley on the side with a hydraulic pump under the pulley. ......Dave

/ 60's Cases #6  

Paul, The 430 and 530 were/are great tractors. The motors were the same as used in Case TLB's and crawlers of that vintage. The 430 was about 35 hp, and the 530 around 42-45 hp. They don't seem to be as popular as the JD's, so some decent buys are possible. I passed up a restores 530, with a new aftermarket FEL a few years ago. Although I did not ned the tractor, I still regret it.
Will

/ 60's Cases #7  

My dad and granddad had a 630, 730, and 830 at different times. They always talked about those tractors with respect. Parts are still plentiful and many are still pulling farm duty around here as small job tractors. They pretty much blew away neighbor's farmalls at the time. I understand the neighbor was trying for one upmanship and blew out 3-4 transmissions in the process. There's a 930 western special (aka wheatland) nearby that looks like a gem. If it was diesel, I'd give it a go, but it's LP. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ 60's Cases #8  

Anything w/LP by JD mostly 730 are a hot item for pulling in these parts.

/ 60's Cases #9  

I have read several books about the history of Case corporation but my expertize is mainly in tractors made from the 1950s and earlier. I have read a few articles that stated that the Case 930 diesel was the most popular tractor that Case ever built. I think most people will agree that Case made top quality equipment at least up to the point where mismanagement sent the company into a financial tailspin in the late 60s. Case was never the low cost leader, IH and Allis Chalmers battled for that title, which largely explains why you don't see as many Cases around today. If you have questions about a specific model I could try to look up some information in my old tractor library. Hope this helps.