Vintage MF

/ Vintage MF #1  

Thomas

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota B2650HSD w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046 & Craftman T2200 lawn mower.
This mid 50's MF 98 turbo w/blower getting ready for some pulling action. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

Last edited:
   / Vintage MF
Harv Cleveland of VT needed more rear weight for better traction,but still wasn't in the 12.000lbs open class /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gifCase 570 Super found the hard pack ground and never look back. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Last edited:
   / Vintage MF
I believe they came thru w/GM power plant.

/ Vintage MF #5  
Here is a question to test your tractor/engine knowledge: "Why is a two-stroke diesel; such as the one shown; kind of a disadvantage when used in a farmin' tractor?" You may consult references and buddies when preparing your answer. Another way of putting the question might also be: "What is the CHIEF disadvantage of the two-stoke cycle diesel engine in a farm tractor?"........Dave

/ Vintage MF
Dave..you have given me a very interesting question..I like that /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif and I been racking pee brain for answer but still coming w/fat <font color=red>0<font color=red><font color=black> /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

After all these years of tinking on those quite gaints I never give it much thought..I would have to say lack of power on the high end.

I'll shall be /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif forward to the answer. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Vintage MF #7  
A FOUR-STROKE CYCLE diesel by virtue of it's principle of operation uses an average of something like twenty-six times as much air as a four stroke cycle gasoline engine does. That is quite a challenge for an air cleaner in dusty conditions. When you have a TWO-STROKE CYCLE diesel engine, the air volume consumed is almost double what a four stroke diesel uses. The air cleaners on those Jimmy diesel-powered tractorsd have to really be perfect, both in size and in effectivness, or the engine will be eaten alive by dirt real quick.*******Now....what are the ADVANTAGES of Two-Stroke diesel engines when used on a constant speed governed load like a generator for example. Jimmys are STELLAR on generator service....why?......Dave

/ Vintage MF #8  
It might be red and the sheet metal is ferguson and the name says Massey Ferguson but what you have is an Oliver 990 with a GM engine. The 98 was made by Oliver and sold to Massey Ferguson, MF added their sheet metal and painted them red and silver.When that brute starts the ground shakes.

/ Vintage MF #9  
<font color=red>Now....what are the ADVANTAGES of Two-Stroke diesel engines when used on a constant speed governed load like a generator for example</font color=red>

I don’t know the answer to that, but this seems to hold true. The two stroke diesel is used on a lot of locomotives, and marine applications. Bolth places where you need a constant speed.

/ Vintage MF #10  
Because the two-stroke diesels fire each time the piston reaches TDC, there are more power strokes per revolution. When you are folowing a sharply-changing load like a generator supplying a building where the elevators start abruptly for example, the Jimmy has it's cylinders firing at a much greater frequency, and therefore has a better chance to "pounce" on the load and maintain RPM since in a V8 Detroit for instance, you have a power stroke every 45 degrees of crankshaft rotation. Jimmys are QUICK on the trigger! I do a lot of generator testing and the big twelve and sixteen-cylinder Jimmys are superb generator engines. Messy, yes; noisy, yes; not really fuel efficient, yes; but if I am on the operating table of a big medical center, I would definitely want Detroit Diesels down in the standby generator room.