a pic of my 52 8N

/ a pic of my 52 8N #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I've been sanding and sanding.. and sanding some more.

Shot some primer on it to protect what I've already done, and as time permits, I'll sand some more.

Pleased to say there is very little bondo on the sheet metal.. many of the dents popped out, or were beat out.

Soundguy

Attachments

• 44-199308-8nprsm.JPG
    44-199308-8nprsm.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 256
   / a pic of my 52 8N
<font color=blue>Man, Chris! Nice job!!!!

<font color=black>Thanks. It has been a tough time on this tractor. The few parts it was missing were easy to find. I did learn how to use a few more tools that I previously didn't know existed.

The previous owner painted the tractor with a brush... badly.

After taking that down.. I found that someone else had painted it ford blue at one time... looks like they dipped it.. even the chassie had blue under it.

I've wirebrushed/wheeled the chassie to remove the flakes. Luckilly no rust or leaks on the frame.

I figue by christmas I'll have it ready to paint and put the lights back on, etc.... If my wife doesn't go crazy first...

Soundguy

/ a pic of my 52 8N #4  
I need to re-paint my Ferguson TO-20, but I use it almost everyday, so I can't afford to take it out of commission. I was thinking of handpainting it with a fine brush, and rubbing each coat down with #0000 steel wool. That way I can do it quicker, without having to take anything apart.

Do you think that might work? I'm not a perfectionist, I just don't want it to rust!

/ a pic of my 52 8N #5  
Oh come on Rich, go all the way! Bead blast it down and give it a good spray job./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif Na, just kidding. The problem with sanding is that most of the harder paints, you will just sand the gloss off. The paints thst sand well, just are not that strong. Best bet? Spray bomb. Scuff up the rusty stuff, and hit it with a can of spray paint. Works well for what you want. And it will give a nice smooth finnish. Oh if I ever get my shop built, I will be putting in a paint room, but we will all be dead and gone by then/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ a pic of my 52 8N
To be honest, for a 'working tractor finish', you could probably leave the sheet metal on it, and start sanding / buffing the heck out of it whenever you get free time. If you expose some metal, it may get some powder rust on it from day to day.. but a scotchbright buff pad on a drill or buffer removes it quickly.. and leaves a nice finish.

Sand it down, wipe it with a tack cloth, mask it with newspaper and tape, and prime it with the metal still on the tractor... rattle can primer will be fine.. just remember, side to side spray motions, and release the valver between each spray motion... takes a bit longer.. but you can make a nice finish with a rattle can if you have a steady hand, and good environmental conditions.
Sand the primer down with 600 or 800 after it dries ( rattle can paint dries fast!.. but don't paint when it is hot... solvent will boil and leave bubbles.

After that final buff, tack cloth it again, and rattle can paint it with appropriate paint.... ford and tsc both carry equivalent tractor paint colors in both rattle can and bulk cans.

If you get the sanding done on say a saturday, if you get up sunday, and the weather is good, you can probably prime and paint it in one day. Won't be a showroom finish, but it will protect the metal , and look halfway decent.
Rattle can finish may look better than brush.. just depends on your hand and eye.... rattlecan may dry a bit faster too.

The frame will be easier.. just wire brush it to get loose paint off, then hit it with a couple good coats.... the undercarriage takes a lot of abuse, and isn't under the same scrutiny as the sheetmetal.

Heck.. after it cures good.. hit it with some cheap buff on style car wax.... it will look cherry the first time it rains!

I'm not trying for a show room finish either. Just something fairly easy on the eyes, and that will protect the 50 year old metal.

Soundguy

/ a pic of my 52 8N #7  
Soundguy,

Looks like a lot of fun. If youv'e got kids, I'm sure you are burning memories to be recalled in 50 years.

Nice job and keep the photos coming!

Buck

/ a pic of my 52 8N #8  
Nice looking 8N.

How about more of whats under the tarp /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ a pic of my 52 8N
<font color=red>Nice looking 8N.
How about more of whats under the tarp

<font color=black>Sure. I would have taken more.. but the wife gets on me if I sneak outside too much/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. She tells her friends 'He's out smelling the tractor..."

I'll get some more angles this weekend, and post them.

Thanks for the interest. At my house, only me and the cow are interested in the tractor!.. the wife really doesn't care for it ( other than as for a farm implement. )

Soundguy

/ a pic of my 52 8N
<font color=red>Soundguy,
Looks like a lot of fun. If youv'e got kids, I'm sure you are burning memories to be recalled in 50 years.

<font color=black>No kids myself, but my cousin brings her 3 over frequently to let them pet the farm animals, and see the tractors, etc. Kids just naturally seem attracted to tractors. I'll watch her kids go around and touch all the animals, then in a few minutes, one is setting on the riding lawnmower, one on the NH1920, and the other on the 8N.. all parked in the barn.. making 'vrrroommmm noises, like they were racing them'... remember when I was a kid.

One of my first memories of a tractor was with my grandfather when I was 4 or 5.. he had an old ford tractor.. don't remember what type... 1000 maybee. He had a few pastures to plow a couple miles from his house. We would get on the tractor ( no rops, me standing on a running board , leaning against a rickety fender... Amazing that we lived past childhood back then... ) We would drive down the country road, to the field, and then I would play in the field while he plowed. Ahhh.. carefree childhood memories... now I work 18 hours a day and have no free time /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif!

<font color=red>Nice job and keep the photos coming!

<font color=black>Thanks, I'll try to get more this weekend. I plan to install the last couple parts i ordered if they come in ( proofmeter and battery door panel winged latch ).

Soundguy

Buck