1948 Allis Chalmers WD, Value?

/ 1948 Allis Chalmers WD, Value? #1  

NICOT

Tractor
Allis Chalmers WD
Yo; Got an opportunity to purchase a 1948 Allis Chalmers WD, restored with a couple of pieces of equipment and original manuals. Been in the same family since it was built. He's throwing in the combine and I believe another piece of original equipment. Any idea of the worth of this bear? Appreciate any wisdom from the peanut gallery. Great site!!!!NICOT in the Endless Mountains of N/E Pa. on the N.Y. border.

/ 1948 Allis Chalmers WD, Value? #2  
Yo; Got an opportunity to purchase a 1948 Allis Chalmers WD, restored with a couple of pieces of equipment and original manuals. Been in the same family since it was built. He's throwing in the combine and I believe another piece of original equipment. Any idea of the worth of this bear? Appreciate any wisdom from the peanut gallery. Great site!!!!NICOT in the Endless Mountains of N/E Pa. on the N.Y. border.

It will mainly depend on 2 things.

1. What the other peices of equipment are and what kind of shape their in.

2. What the definition of "restored" is. Is this tractor completely rebuilt (engine kit, trans bearings, clutch, brakes, etc.) or is this just an old tractor with high hours and a fresh coat of paint??

Answer these questions and you may get better responses.

But for what it's worth, running WD's around here bring right at $1000 but have not been painted. But a coat of paint and some time doesn't add that much value to me, cause I could do it for a few hundred bucks and some well spent time hanging out in the garage with some buddys.

But if it is completly restored/rebuilt, and has a ton of attachments that are also in excellent condition, the sky could be the limit.

/ 1948 Allis Chalmers WD, Value?
Hey LD1; your a wise man. I asked the same questions, supposedly completely restored, guy's a good friend of mine. The original equip. is a combine, don't know what kind and some sort of plows. I'm going over to look at the piece tomorrow. Dealt with Deere's, fergusons and farmalls in the past and did well with my antique iron purchases. Don't think this guy would steer me wrong, but I'll check it out and pass the info on. See you have a Kubota, I got a 2008, 7040 giving me a "clunking noise" at low idle, yet the piece runs well with only 153 hours on it. Kubota is giving me the runaround. Rep. is scheduled to visit my farm and the 7040 tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath. What do you think the 48 WD A.C. restored with the attachments is worth, ball park? Thanks; NICO in Appalachia N/E Penna. hills.

/ 1948 Allis Chalmers WD, Value? #4  
Hey LD1; your a wise man. I asked the same questions, supposedly completely restored, guy's a good friend of mine. The original equip. is a combine, don't know what kind and some sort of plows. I'm going over to look at the piece tomorrow. Dealt with Deere's, fergusons and farmalls in the past and did well with my antique iron purchases. Don't think this guy would steer me wrong, but I'll check it out and pass the info on. See you have a Kubota, I got a 2008, 7040 giving me a "clunking noise" at low idle, yet the piece runs well with only 153 hours on it. Kubota is giving me the runaround. Rep. is scheduled to visit my farm and the 7040 tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath. What do you think the 48 WD A.C. restored with the attachments is worth, ball park? Thanks; NICO in Appalachia N/E Penna. hills.

Unless you actually have a use for the combine (a pull behind I assume) and the plows, I wouldn't pay much over scrap price for them. No one uses them anymore, nor do I even know what they are worth because I have never been in the market or looked at any for sale.

But if the tractor is completely rebuilt/restored, I'd say in the ballpark of 2k, depending on how well it was done, how long ago, and wether the rubber is in good shape.

TIP top condition, I would go over 2500 for the whole deal, unless you find out that the combine is worth a lot of money or something like that.

If you are interested in having an older tarctor and like working on them/restoring them, you could always pick up a WD in the 1K ballpark and do the work yourself that way you know it's done right.

But if you actually plan on using the attachments , it may not be a bad deal.

LD1- What I was thinking of is getting it low and flipping it for a bit of a profit to the right collector. Supposed to be a nice piece. Checking it out soon. I'll get back to ya'll on the 48'A.C. WD with original equipment and manuals in the same family since original purchase. Great and fun site! NICOT in PA

/ 1948 Allis Chalmers WD, Value? #6  
According to Yesterday's Tractor Sales Report here is what 1948 WD's are bringing.
Model Year Location When sold Price Condition
Allis Chalmers WD 1948 VA, US 1996 750 Restored
Allis Chalmers WD 1948 VA, US 1996 600 Restored
Allis Chalmers WD 1948 FL, US 1998 1000 Working
Allis Chalmers WD 1948 TN, US 1998 50 Complete

In my opinion you will have a hard time flipping the tractor. Older WD's Aren't that popular. Now if it was a WC of a WD 45 you would have a better chance of making money. But that is my opinion. My Dad always said what yiou some dislike others love.

Don

/ 1948 Allis Chalmers WD, Value? #7  
We sold a original 1 owner cherry WD for $1750 about a year ago. Ken Sweet

Wow; you guys are great! I'll let the cat out of the bag, just because it's Friday! The 1948 Allis Chalmers WD with implements; is going for a grand total of (asking price: are you ready....3,500!) And this guy is supposed to be a friend of mine. I love this site. Keeping the $ in the bank. Thank you all! My wife would have had a fit if I bought it! NICO alone on the N/E PA mountain top.... tractornet members save the day!!!!

/ 1948 Allis Chalmers WD, Value? #9  
yep.. 1500 is about a going price for a wd.. the rest of the scra..er stuff.. 9$ a ton or so :)

soundguy