Buying, what to check?

/ Buying, what to check? #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
I am looking to buy an old tractor. This will be my first, so I need to know the things I should look for. I know the simple stuff,
Motor running OK
No strange noises
Clutch works
Pieces falling off /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Rear lift holding. [not dropping under load]
PTO turning, and not bent
Steering working, and brakes stopping.
Tires OK
Anything else I am missing? I am not looking for the “perfect” tractor. With my budget, I’m lucky to get anything. Just do not want to be surprised. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Buying, what to check? #2  
A few things indicative of deeper problems:

Look at the radiator with the engine off. Water level okay? Antifreeze in the mix? Any evidence of engine oil in the water?

Look at the radiator with the engine running and up to temp. Any bubbles in the radiator? Water circulating? Hoses or radiator core leaking? If a pressurized system, cap sealing properly? Water temp gauge working?

Look at the engine oil. Is it at the proper level? Look like it's been changed in this century? Milky (water contamination) or smell like fuel? Diesel fuel leaking by and "overfilling" the crankcase is not uncommon in older diesels.

Rear end oil - Filled to proper level? How much water is in it?

Battery and cables clean and in good condition? Turn over with some snap or just barely roll the engine over?

Carb leaking? Crud in sediment bowl? Flakes and crap in the fuel tank?

Steering tight? Welds and jury rigs and other signs of abuse in front end or on frame?

Wheel hubs cracked or hogged out? Rims bent or tires out of round?

Start from a standing stop in road gear. Governor kicking in and and picking up the load? Clutch slipping?

Check the brakes. Both working?

Most importantly is there a dealer for that brand nearby? Can you get parts? Is it an "orphan" model with imported components (ie, certain IH models with German diesel engines and "British" IH's that are stunningly expensive to get parts for)

There's more if you think about it, but if you get by these tests, chances are the tractor has been fairly well cared for.

/ Buying, what to check? #3  
Check this out. There is TONS of info there...

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ytmag.com/articles.htm>http://www.ytmag.com/articles.htm</A>

/ Buying, what to check?
Thanks Robert. LOTS of good reading.

/ Buying, what to check?
Well, Bad news. The serch is on hold for a bit. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Looks like the new house may be a bit more money then we thought, so spending is on hold till its done. I am still keeping an eye out for a REAL good deal, but thats it.

/ Buying, what to check? #6  
Sometimes the shopping is as much fun as the buying! The hard part is, after hanging out here, you will be so much more discriminating about the condition, price, ect.

/ Buying, what to check? #7  
PAUL: sorry i am so late to this thread, cn't really give any advice on the type of tractor u need, don't don't know the particulars of your needs. but will tell u to NOT stop searching, keep looking and sometimes a great tractor will pop up, if u don't look u will not ever know.

/ Buying, what to check?
Na, Im still looking. Just have to be a REAL good deal to open the piggy bank.

And hey, I may find out after, that I have a bigger budjet then I thought.

/ Buying, what to check? #9  
An old guy once told me when I was looking for a certain vintage car that once you start looking, it takes about two years until you find the one you want. You tune in to the details, you start finding out where to look and what to look for, and you notice them in people's back yards as you're driving down the highway.
I didn't think about it again until two years later when it came true.
Then I started looking for a specific model of tractor - same thing, two years.
Funny thing is, the two years seemed to go by fast. When he first told me this I thought two years was an eternity, but it's nothing compared to the time it takes to restore them!
Jim