TO-20

/ TO-20 #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
Went to look at an old Ferggie TO-20 this weekend. Nice looking tractor, but there were a few things to make me walk away for now. One was I could not hear it run. Some wiring needed to be done. He says he will get it together so I can hear it run, and drive it. Second is the PTO shaft has an oil leak. Anything common there? Something to look for? Next was the mounting where the lift arms[not the 3ph arms, the ones on top that lift them] has a few cracks. The cracks are where the bolts go in, they are reinforced now, and do not leak, or look like they have. Any worries there?

Also there were some strange things with this tractor. First, it had no footboards, just pegs. I know the old Fords had this setup, but did not know the Ferggies did. Also, the rear breaks had only one pedal. I thought these had two pedals for the breaks.

Mostly it looked like a nice tractor. Real good rubber, tin OK[PO cut hole in top for fuel fill] Looked like it spent most of its life inside.

What do you all think? The price is right, and I can fix things myself.

/ TO-20 #2  
With the cracks, I wouldn't look any further. It does not have live power, and the 3pt does not have position control.

It has individual rear brakes, but the left wheel brake is on the left side, with the clutch pedal. Not convenient.

I had a TO-30 and liked it for the most part. But it was a trick making a turn left using the left wheel brake while using the clutch pedal in a tight place.

And for sure, I wouldn't buy until I heard it run, and knew it ran well. I would guess in good running order it would bring around $2000 (if the rubber is good).

/ TO-20
<font color=red>I would guess in good running order it would bring around $2000 (if the rubber is good). </font color=red>

Well thats the thing. Its under 2 grand and the tires are real good.He says it runs real well, but I will not pay near asking without starting it. The cracks were also a concern with me, but it looks like they have been there a long time, and the peice does not look like its moved. I was going to take some pictures to show everyone, but forgot./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif I know its not the perfict tractor, but with my budget an older tractor has to do. Luckly the value stays about the same, so when I have more money to spend on a tractor, I can sell it. And will give me a chance to aquire some attachments./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ TO-20 #4  
beenthere/Paul - A friend of mine's father has a tractor with TO-61381 on the plate. I haven't seen the tractor. It appears it could be a TO-20 or TO-30 from 1951 from what I've found on the web. Is there something I could describe to him over the phone to determine which tractor it really is?? I know the engines are different but any other distinguishing marks??

I've been designated their tractor "expert" so a price can be put on it. Thanks Chuck

/ TO-20
According to Yeasterdays tractors, looks like its a 51 to-20. The only other thing I know to check is the oil filter on the engine. The TO-20 has it in the pan, with a big plate on the bottom to remove it, the TO-30 has a oil filter on the side of the block. Hope this helps.

/ TO-20 #6  
<font color=blue>""under 2 grand and the tires are real good.He says it runs real well,....

Luckly the value stays about the same, so when I have more money to spend on a tractor, I can sell it.<font color=black>

Those are good points, and if it runs, you can do a lot of work with it. For sure, in the 50's and 60's, those tractors did a ton of work. Beat the heck out of horses and hand labor, and can still do the same. Of that vintage, I would lean towards an 8N Ford if I had a choice (not implying that you do). The 8N had position control on the 3pt and the right/left brake pedals on the same side. Parts may be more easily available on the Ford than the Fergie too. Just something to contemplate in your decision.

/ TO-20
<font color=red>I would lean towards an 8N Ford if I had a choice </font color=red>

Thats one of the ones I am thinking of. I am passing on any 9, or2N's though. Just to old. Well, unless they are REAL cheap./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ TO-20 #8  
Thanks Paul. The oil filter difference should do it. I'll report my "expert" findings to him. Chuck

/ TO-20
<font color=red>I'll report my "expert" findings to him</font color=red>

LOL. Your not calling me an expert are you? /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ TO-20 #10  
Paul, something's not right with this tractor! First, TO-20's always have running boards. They also have two rear brake peddles. This sounds more like a 9 N. Is this one of the one's in the Want Ad Digest? They had a few TO-20's this week.