Farmall Super C Fast-Hitch & Hydraulics

/ Farmall Super C Fast-Hitch & Hydraulics #1  

BoonvilleKid

Tractor
Farmall Super C, Farmall Super C, Farmall Super C, John Deere 955, John Deere 955
I spent my childhood on a Super C Farmall. The only equipment we had with the tractor was a 2-row cultivator which were operated by the hydraulics, front and rear. It did not have a Fast-Hitch system. All other equipment (plow, disc, rake, etc.) were drag type.

Now, I have a '54 Super C equipped with a Fast-Hitch system. It needs restoring, so I have not been able to see how the cylinder on the Fast-Hitch system operates in conjunction with the "Touch" hydraulic system.

There is a lever on the right side that controls a hydraulic pump which must operate the cylinder on the back to raise & lower whatever equipment is in the Fast-Hitch system. It's obvious that the cylinder raises and lowers the Fast-Hitch system. What has me confused is this: What purpose does the solid bar serve that is connected to the inside hydraulic rocker on the left side. This flat bar runs to the back of the tractor and connects in with the Fast-Hitch cylinder operations. The flat bar is controlled by one of the two touch levers on the left side of the steering wheel. Why does there need to be two systems (flat bar and cylinder)? It would seem they would be working against each other. Is the control on the right side used to lift the equipment (hardest task) and the touch lever (flat bar) used to control the rocker arm to permit the equipment to be lowered (easier task).......or, perhaps for making fine adjustment in plowing depths, etc.
Aren't the hydraulics of each system the same system? Or, are they separate systems?
Our old tractor had cultivators in front of the tractor, raised and lowered by one of the touch levers and the other touch lever raised and lowered the back cultivator. How did one cultivate with a tractor having the Fast-Hitch system? How did one attach a cultivator for the back of the tractor?
Can someone who has this working system with the equipment for it, please explain in detail just how the system works and how the system worked for a cultivator, a plow, etc. Thanks.

/ Farmall Super C Fast-Hitch & Hydraulics #2  
The Super C that I used to own had Fast Hitch and also utilized both sides of the touch control mid mount rockshaft via one rod and one bar. One of the rockshaft arms controlled the Fast hitch fore and aft pitch adjustment, the other controlled the side-to-side tilt of the Fast Hitch. The rear mounted cylinder sets the implement height (or depth).

/ Farmall Super C Fast-Hitch & Hydraulics #3  
The left side flat bar, gives you some pitch/tilt to level the implement sideways, such as a plow or cultivator. Such as tweeking the level of the plow, after the first pass, and drop in a furrow. I have used mine when using a blade, to make a start for a ditch. A pretty handy feature..

If it is a complete Fash-Hitch system, there should also be a tubular piece attached to the front of the wishbone of the 2 point system. It will have an "L" shaped tab on it, and pinned to the torque tube. This will hold the front of the wishbone ridgid. There should also be a hole cross drilled towards the top of that tube. That is for a rod, that can be attached to the right side rocker arm. You will need to un-pin it from the torque tube to do this. This will give you pitch, to make the drawbar, or implement raise higher, or drop it lower. That one comes in handy for me, when using a post hole digger. Gives you just a little more lift when transporting.

They did (original IH), and do make 3 pt. conversions. Some are just Fast Hitch arms that slide in(aftermarket), and a top bracket that bolts on where the belt pulley is bolted on. The belt pulley must be removed to put the top link bracket on. I have 2 different sets of these. One with a single set of swivel eyes welded solid, and the other set has various holes for different adjustments. The other set IH's 3 pt. conversion was all one piece, and they made a couple versions. At least 2, because I have 2 different ones, and all original IH. It is basically 2 point arms, with a bail over top, that has a toplink bracket, with I believe 4 holes for adjustment. The difference is where the lower pins attach, and how they "capture" the lower pins.

They work pretty good, but cannot be finely adjusted, or work like a true 3 pt. system, as far as adjusting a top link.

You can sometimes find the conversions on ebay, or have found them on several dealer sites. Some of the original IH items are pretty expensive in my book. We've found all of ours at farm sales, as they are pretty useless, unless you have something with Fast Hitch. You just have to watch what it is for, as there were different catagories of the Fast Hitch arms. I know there is a difference between the ones on my C's, and my 240 Utility.

I will try and get some pictures...

/ Farmall Super C Fast-Hitch & Hydraulics #4  
We have the new fast hitch arms and also a used fast hitch plow, if needed? Ken Sweet

/ Farmall Super C Fast-Hitch & Hydraulics
Ken, I looked at both websites. I can not find a 2-14 moldboard Farmall Fast-Hitch plow listed.

/ Farmall Super C Fast-Hitch & Hydraulics
DJ54, thanks for the response and explanation. If I could just see the whole system, with equipment attached in operation, then I could understand. You explained the reasoning for the flat bar on the left side, being operated by the inside rocker arm. I have a front/back cultivator that can/will be placed on this tractor. The front sections are operated by the left touch lever which runs the outside rocker on the left side and the sole rocker on the right side. The rear cultivator section (3 shovels for covering tractor tracks) is operated by the right touch lever which pulls on a rod that lifts the whole section. The whole section rotates on a bracket attached to the rear wheel axle on each side of the seat. Now the question: How can this cultivator be used on a tractor with the Fast-Hitch system in place?

What did the cultivator (front and rear) look like and how did it operate with a Fast-Hitch system?

Is the hydraulic system of the Fast-Hitch pump (on the right side) common to the hydraulic system of the touch-control that runs the rocker arms?

DJ54, your 2nd paragraph is a good attempt to educate this ole guy.....but a few photographs would sure help. I just can't understand why Farmall thought it necessary to add this feature to the remainder of the system.

I've got a drawbar with prongs that fit into the Fast-Hitch, but that's the only piece of equipment that I do have. I'm not interesting it converting it to a 3-point system as I have that on another tractor.

Thanks for your explanation of the system and how it works.

/ Farmall Super C Fast-Hitch & Hydraulics #7  
Ken, I looked at both websites. I can not find a 2-14 moldboard Farmall Fast-Hitch plow listed.

It is not on there. Just came in. If I had your email address I would send you a picture? Ken Sweet

/ Farmall Super C Fast-Hitch & Hydraulics #8  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm assuming the rear cultivators may be used with the fast hitch in place, just raise it up all the way..?? When I bought mine, I got like 5 implements with it, the only thing in the cultivator line, was a fast hitch tool bar. It just had 2 or 3(??) small spring shanks, with narrow shovles, spaced to take out the rear tracks.

The pump is the touch-control pump system. Just a manifold, and valve off of it, to supply the hydraulics for the fast hitch drawbar.

The lowering/raising of the nose of the fast hitch drawbar, is more or less in my mind, making up for an adjustment on a top link, on a 3 pt. system. Being the arms are ridgid in the holders.. Say if you needed to drop the tail of the plow a bit, simply raise the nose of the drawbar, or vise-versa. More or less to get things on a level plane, with the tractor.

I will try and get some pictures... The last couple of days have been rather hectic... My truck quit running on me yesterday morning in a snow storm, due to what I now believe is the electric fuel pump. Took 5 hours to get a wrecker to me... Just had to wait my turn... Got it home hoping it was the fuel pump relay, but after replacing it..., still nothing.

Have a backhoe torn down in my shop, where it is a comfy 65コ, and no room for the pick-up. And naturally, with bad weather in the forecast, I topped of the tank the day before... So..., stopped at a shop today, and got an estimate to do the work... Came and got it on the hook this afternoon, and will get to it Monday. Could have done it in the unheated portion of the barn, but temps in the low 20's, and chill factor of near zero... Nah, worth the couple of hundred bucks worth of labor to not lay on my back in the dirt, in 20 some degrees...

/ Farmall Super C Fast-Hitch & Hydraulics #9  
In 1952 my great grandfather bought a brand new Super C, in 2007 my grandfather decided it was now time to change the original rear tires. I have been looking at trying to ship one from MN where i was born and raised to Alaska where life has brought me

My grandfather used a super C to cultivate into the 80's. The cultivators he had, and there are many models, bolted to the front of the tractor. He would then disconnect the "touch control" arms from the "fast hitch" draw works and attach them to the cultivator. These levers had thumb screws to set as stops, and would control the depth of the cultivators. There used to be several attachments that worked like this, and have been several made since.

He also had a rear cultivator to remove the tire tracks behind the tractor. It was a fast hitch unit and had tines to cover 3 rows. My great grandfather quit using them when he started using round up. In the early days (1950's) he planted the corn on 20 inch grids, and cultivated in two directions, 90 degrees apart. It was the only way to keep the weeds down.

/ Farmall Super C Fast-Hitch & Hydraulics #10  
Ah yes, the "check wire" planter... Lordy, the rolls of that wire I've seen at auctions, they had to throw with something to make it sell...

And most were left setting...