Old 8N- Good Deal?

/ Old 8N- Good Deal? #1  

Massey_lover

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson MF 250, Belarus T-40A
So, I live in Bancroft, Ontario, and I work on a farm in the non-snowy months. I have the opportunity, through a lady that my boss delivers hay to, to pick up a non-running 8N, with a loader, that has two new rear tires on it. The lady says her husband was in the processing of fixing it last year when he had to go back to work and she only wants $500 for the tractor. It has a front-mounted (live) hyd. pump for the loader, which I could probably upgrade for a little more flow and run a hydraulic PTO motor (to give me a live PTO for snowblowing, etc.) I should mention that I'm only 17 and I already have a tractor ('58 Massey MF-50, Continental 134), but I want to "expand my collection". Mostly I just want something with a loader and I can't really justify subjecting my MF to all the extra wear and tear after it's already been around for 53 years. Any input will be appreciated.

/ Old 8N- Good Deal? #2  
they are good tractors and pretty simple that is what i first started working on and have got pretty good at fix them they are not the best loader tractors but its better than nothing i think 500 is a good buy

/ Old 8N- Good Deal? #3  
$500 is a bargain - the 2 new rear tires are almost worth that alone.

Sounds like a good and worthwhile project, but I do not think you will like the 8N tractor on a snow blower. 1st gear and Reverse speeds will be too fast for snowblowing in most snow conditions. Will work decent though using the loader on front and either a back blade (or even a box blade) on the rear to move snow.

/ Old 8N- Good Deal?
Thanks for all the input guys. The tractor is safe and soind tarped up for the winter but as soon as the snow goes i'll borrow my boss's trailer and go get it... I wonder how mom's gonna feel about me bringing home another project :p

/ Old 8N- Good Deal? #5  
If I remember right the 8n did not have live PTO or even a 2 stage clutch so I would hesitate to use anything like a snow blower unless it was ran off that hydraulic pump you mentioned.

/ Old 8N- Good Deal? #6  
I can't really justify subjecting my MF to all the extra wear and tear after it's already been around for 53 years.
LOL
You won't do that to a massey but you'll do it to an even older, smaller , and less capable 8N?

/ Old 8N- Good Deal?
sammyd said:
LOL
You won't do that to a massey but you'll do it to an even older, smaller , and less capable 8N?

Yeah, because the massey has a lot of sentimental value to me ( it was my grandfather's last tractor) And this 8n is dirt cheap and has already been running it for years

/ Old 8N- Good Deal? #8  
Grab it and run with it. They sell for about $2,000.00 around here. Not really a great tractor for some attachments. They worked good for pulling a hay wagon. But they are a sort of a collector item in this area.

/ Old 8N- Good Deal? #9  
as long as the engine isn't blow up nor the trans.. should be ok if it just needs say ignition or similar parts.

soundguy

/ Old 8N- Good Deal?
as long as the engine isn't blow up nor the trans.. should be ok if it just needs say ignition or similar parts.

soundguy

as far as she knows, her husband was working on changing something on the front of the motor, and had to go back to work. it is going to need a new rad, as the old one was removed and it looks like someone hit it with a sledge. but around here a running 8n will sell for 2700-3000 so i have some room to put money into it before it's no longer worth it.