Oliver 1650 advice

/ Oliver 1650 advice #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I am in need of a second tractor for pulling a disc and lime spreader as well as other things. I have a FWA TN 65 with loader as my primary tractor and the Oliver I am looking at is 2wd w/loader so I would probally take that loader off and sell it. Are there any problems that I should look for that are common with the 1650's. I didn't check to see if it was a gas or diesel yet as I wanted to know what to look for before I stop and talk with the guy. How do the 2wd front axels hold up over time with the use of a loader, is it something I should worry about? Thanks for your time.

/ Oliver 1650 advice #2  
Robert, I use the loader n my Oliver 1550 all the time. I use it for manure, round bales (I have a bale spear that attaches to it), and even rocks. Mine is a two wheel drive gas. I've never had a problem with the front end, and the gas engine is very easy to start. It's got more than enough power to do what you need to do, and the 1650 is even more powerful.

Get it quick, before someone else snatches it. Olivers are GREAT tractors!!

/ Oliver 1650 advice #3  
The 1650 that I had was the diesel model, very smooth running, but didn't like to start below 40 Degrees F. I had approx 7000 hours on the tractor when it was sold and the only problems were: it was in need of some injector work, and the hydrolic pump went out twice, because of a sticky hydralic lever. I would have front weights on the tractor for heavy pulling, takes away some of the abuse. The over/under Hydra shift worked great. The 1650 was a great work horse, and the tractor I chose to run most of the time.

/ Oliver 1650 advice #4  
Robert, those are good solid tractors and I like them for there performance. The front axles on the two wheel drives just like many farm tractors of that vintage the front axles were not built loader proof. the axle shafts pins and bolts that keep the axle in place often egg the holes and need reinforcement. They are excellent pulling tractors and outperformed many tractors in there class. The note on cold weather starting should be repected as they were hard starting. To do work in the head area it is important to remember to keep the compression as high as you can (watch who's head gasket you might use). A good clean one will still bring in the 4500 to 6500 price range with a loader in your area.

/ Oliver 1650 advice #5  
The Oliver 1650 is a great tractor. The tractor has a 283d cu. in or 265g cu. in. engine developing approx. 67 hp with a weight of 7,063. The price range for one in good shape is $4600-$5270 w/o loader. You might add $1000 for the loader. These are good solid tractors and parts are still readily available. I am an Oliver collector and my relatives were Oliver dealers. If you have any questions I would be happy to respond via Email.