Top Three Vintage Tractors

/ Top Three Vintage Tractors #1  

catskinner

Silver Member
Tractor
AC 170
What are three tractors that made a difference in farming? Me and the boys at the coop-op were comparing different one and here were my picks;

Ford 8n

JD 4020

IH 1066

what would you pick?

/ Top Three Vintage Tractors #2  
The JD4020 is what I have heard was the best ever made in farm tractors.

/ Top Three Vintage Tractors #4  
They all made a difference.

/ Top Three Vintage Tractors #5  
They were all better than a horse:thumbsup:

And I agree, they ALL made a difference. Just whatever the farmers preference was for the task at hand is what he purchased.

A lot bought the 4020. Some the 1066, others bought the MM G1000, D21, etc. They all did the job and it is hard to say that one would make more of a difference than the other.

/ Top Three Vintage Tractors #6  
John Deere D, Cockshutt 30 and John Deere's "New Generation" tractors introduced in the early 60s.

The D had the longest run of any model of John Deere tractor; the styled and unstyled versions ran from March 1, 1923 until July 3, 1953 for a total of about 160,000 units. The Model D becoming the foundation of the extensive John Deere tractor two cylinder line.

The Cockshutt 30 was the first production tractor built in Canada from 1946 - 1957 with a run of 37,328 units. It was the first production tractor with a live PTO system.

I list John Deere's "New Generation" tractors as my third choice simply because it was that line of farm tractors that evolved into the standard all other farm tractors would be measured by. If I had to chose a particular one of the "New Generation" tractors as my third choice, it would be the 4010.

/ Top Three Vintage Tractors #7  
   / Top Three Vintage Tractors #8  
i would almost say 9n instead of 8n, since it cme out in 39 and had that new fangled draft sensing 3pt.

soundguy

/ Top Three Vintage Tractors #9  
Number 1 is the original fordson. Number 2 would be the allis chalmers model u. Then the 9-n

/ Top Three Vintage Tractors
The factory built some serious tractors then, My old 8n still to this day runs the family truck farm, while the JD handles the hay operation. When I am looking at these new compacts I wonder how many will be around.