Articulating or 4-wheel steering?

/ Articulating or 4-wheel steering? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi Guys,

I need a farm tractor with a very sharp turning radius. I don't want to spend $10k or more on a tractor though. So what I am wondering (and haven't found from searching) is if there were ever any tractors produced in the 60hp or less range that either articulated or had 4-wheel steering? I'm thinking if I could find something old to fix up that would be the most economical. I don't need 4WD.

I'd consider taking old tractor parts and building my own. I do have the tools to do it. You could make a tractor with 4 wheel steering using two front-ends from a 4WD tractor -- but then I don't know how a guy would implement a PTO.

Anyone have any ideas?

/ Articulating or 4-wheel steering? #2  
Not sure what turning radius you are looking for, but with a lot of the old tractor you had the ability to independently lock the inside rear wheel and pivot around the contact patch. I did it a lot with my 8N when mowing. When I went 4WD I did it less as Ihad more damage with less turning.
New Holland had a feature called Super Steer the was more maneuverable, but not having it myself I just know it was out there.

/ Articulating or 4-wheel steering? #3  
Most any of the old smaller ag tractors would spin around using the brakes as mostly_gas described. My old 861 Ford will spin on a dime and give you change.:D It will of course damage the ground so I would not do that on turf. Several of the older models were available with a narrow (tricycle) front end. They will turn very sharp without using the brakes. Some models that come to mind are a 560 International (around 65~70hp I think), 961 Ford (48hp), 3020 John Deere (around 60~65hp).

/ Articulating or 4-wheel steering? #4  
   / Articulating or 4-wheel steering?
Hi Papaperk,

It is for use in a Vineyard. I don't want to give up the 25 feet on each end of the row for a standard tractor to be able to make the turn.

I've seen those European tractors but don't seem to see them for sale here in the States or if they are they are newer and too expensive.

/ Articulating or 4-wheel steering? #6  
Dad has an older Pasquali a 991 model that he bought. A man that works for us bought it new in the early eighties. Its hydraulic articulated and 4x4. It also has a loader. Withouth the loader it can narrow down to 36 inches with the wheels set in but its 48 with the loader on.

/ Articulating or 4-wheel steering? #7  
Narrow front end tractors from the 1950s and 1960s will give you a very tight turning radius.

--->Paul

/ Articulating or 4-wheel steering? #8  
My massey 165 has incredible turning radius. Maybe find on and give it a test drive. It's even the wide front.

/ Articulating or 4-wheel steering? #9  
Narrow front end tractors from the 1950s and 1960s will give you a very tight turning radius.

--->Paul

Here is an example, at about 1:40, 1:50, and 2:00

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIp7G6J0rDE]John Deere model A 1947 - YouTube[/ame]

Bruce

/ Articulating or 4-wheel steering? #10  
I hate to be a nit picker, but that's not a '47. It has electric start which wasn't around yet.
Edit: never mind...my facts were wrong. Electric start came out in '39