2N/9N, TO20/30 Hydraulic Pump Difference

/ 2N/9N, TO20/30 Hydraulic Pump Difference #1  

GrayMule

Tractor
1951 Ferguson TO30
Hey Guys,
I am a little stumped :confused:and thought this would be the RIGHT place to get some help.:thumbsup:

My pump busted on my TO30..I am having a little trouble locating one,:( but 8n/9n's are everywhere here. I know the 8n is different because of position control, but what about the 9n/2n?

I have heard the 9n/2n is the same as the TO20, but they are all different from the 30? Is this correct?

I know some have gaskets and some have o-rings on the valve chambers, but what about interchangeability of the whole pump?

Can anyone explain the difference to me? ..the little info I can find, just seems as confused as I am.:confused2:

Thanx

Last edited:
   / 2N/9N, TO20/30 Hydraulic Pump Difference
JUST IN CASE SOMEBODY WANTS TO KNOW

After finding my old service book, I have found it has the very answer to my question.

UNRELATED TO PUMP- The contol fork on the 30 has a stabilizer that fits over the PTO shaft, the 20's both the TE and TO do not. This is also the difference between the oscillating control fork and the non-oscillatting one.

PUMP RELATED DIFFERENCE- The 30 has an oscillating control valve..I guess it has more controlled movement or a swinging type movement.
Dont have a 20 to compare, so cant describe the exact difference.

The 30 has different length in one cam. The cam is a different length to reach the fork which connects to the control valve. Back to the difference in the 20 and 30 fork. So for an interchange, one needs to use the fork out of the tractor you would be using the pump from.

The 30's safety valve has a different baffle.

And of course, the valve chambers are different. The 30 uses O-Rings and the 20 uses gaskets.

The relief valves are the same on TO models, but differ on the TE with serials before 83271. TE's after that use the same one rated to 2300 psi, prior to that TE's are rated at 1900.

With all that being said, it seems to me- it could be done, but requires a little modification to the control fork.

So this would probablly be the difference in a 9n/2n/TO20 vs. the 30. So, I think a 9n/2n would fit in a 20 with no problem, but to get any of them in the 30- you would use the different fork.

This is what I conclude but haven't physically tried it.

I will just get a 30 pump.

Last edited:
   / 2N/9N, TO20/30 Hydraulic Pump Difference
just for reference, the 30's seem to have an A in their casting no's and 20's do not
the 30's fork would have a shorter travel due to the longer cam

it also states the 30's has added parts to the pump
TO-691 Oscillater Drive Assembly
S-10152 Internal Ring
TO-695 Tab Washer
TO-697 Set Screw
TO-688 Fork and Pin Assembly

/ 2N/9N, TO20/30 Hydraulic Pump Difference #4  
Great details on the differences... from a functionality perspective, I just rebuilt a working 9N pump and put it in my TO30. It works great.

The PTO shaft had bound up in the pump and I cracked the pump housing getting it out... if you were wondering why i didn't rebuild :). Not many TO30 parts floating around out there!