8N with aux trans

/ 8N with aux trans #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
I was looking at an early 8N that had an aux. trans in it. From doing some recerch, it seems to have a Sherman combnation trans in it. How much does it slow the tractor down, over a reg 8N? Is this something that would come in usfull for brush cutting?[I think so, but what do I know. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif] How much do you think this would add to the value of the tractor? Thanks.

/ 8N with aux trans #2  
My brother had a 8N or 9N that almost ran me over.I was use to being around my Dad's Ford 1954 NAA and was hooking a chain up to a log.Told him to back up a little and that thing jumped back 2 feet before he could step on the clutch again.Was not impressed with that tranny.Was alot more careful the rest of the day.That 1st gear is slow with the Sherman shift.I feel the older Fords are geared to high.Really need that Sherman shift to slow them down.I don't know if you would need it for bush hogging.Probaly a NAA you would cut in 2nd gear and a 8n,without the Sherman in 1st.As to value,I would think it would be worth more,$2-300 more at a guess.I really would not know.

/ 8N with aux trans #3  
As the other guy pointed out, the sherman probably won't help with brush cutting, as it slows the engine to tranny connection, as it is a pre-tranny.

If you slow the tranny to lower the ground speed, you lower the pto rpm. If you want a lower ground speed and the same pto rpm, you would look for a howard tranny.. they were used to slow the N down to use a rototiller.

However again, as pointed out.. 1st in the 8n is fine for brush cutting.. a halfway decent 8n can pull a 5' brush cutter.

The early 8ns.. up to about mid 52 had a high reverse gear.. in mid 52 they went to the lower reverse gear.. you can tell if the left side bottom of the tranny has a bulge cast into it to accomodate the larger reverse gear.

As for the NAA.. most came with a 4spd similar to the 8n, however there were 5 spd upgrades available.. and yes i agree.. the N's are geared pretty high.

I don't know the exact speed, but over 1st is faster than second.. etc...

If you have a proofmeter on your 8n ( 50 and up? ) then it will list ground speed. Rope off 52.8 feet, and run at a set speed/rpm that distance, and have someone time you... verify that your proofmeter is accurate.. ( that 52.8' times 100 equals 5280 feet.. 1 mile.. figure your time to run the course in hours.. i.e. 1 minute is .016 an hour.. 45 seconds is .0075 hours, etc... multiply that by 100 and see what you get.. I'm gonna guess 1st gear ground speed on an N is somewhere between 4-5 mph at pto rpm...

now check the time and do the math on the under and over setting.. that will tell you your speeds...

Soundguy

/ 8N with aux trans
<font color="red"> If you slow the tranny to lower the ground speed, you lower the pto rpm. </font>

AHHHH OK. I did not know that. I thought it would lover the speed of the tractor, but keep the PTO the same. Thanks.

Also What size cutter would be best for heavy brush cutting?

/ 8N with aux trans #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( you slow the tranny to lower the ground speed, you lower the pto rpm.
)</font>

That is on a sherman.. if you get lucky and find a howard.. you can drop the ground speed without effecting the pto.. in fact a sherman and a howard together would be awesome...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Also What size cutter would be best for heavy brush cutting? )</font>

5' is generally considdered ok for a rotary cutter on an N in decent shape. It just cuts far enough to cover your tires, so you dont have to overlap pass's.
Try not to cut in 2nd.. it has been discussed in some boards as being a non-robust gear... General rule of thumb is 1st gear + 5' cutter = if you can drive over it you can cut it... unless the N is way ragged out.. If you are cutting real light stuff.. I gues higher gears would be fine... If you don't have a tachometer.. cut at about 3/4 throttle.. that is around correct engine rpm for the pto.. if you have a tach, it is marked for you.

Soundguy