David Brown 990 ???

/ David Brown 990 ??? #1  

rasimmo

Gold Member
I have a David Brown 990 and I need a water pump for it, I think. There are a lot of different ones avaliable for this tractor and I am not sure which one is correct. They all look similar, just have different numbers. I just got this tractor and would like to fix the few minor mechanical problems it has. It belonged to my stepdad's dad since the late 60s. It has 5400 hrs on it. The engine was overhauled just before 5000. It runs great with no smoke. It aint real pretty, but it is in great mechanical shape. So far what I have been able to figure out is that it is a 1964 model 990 Implamatic. Here is all the info I can get off of tags on the tractor.

Tractor Model - 990/UA
Serial - 468090

Engine Model - AD4 47A
Serial - 50063

Loader Model - AL2
Serial - 17598

If anyone can give me any information on this machine I would greatly appreciate it. The manuals are being searched for and I will get them before long. I just don't want to wait til then to start working on it. The water pump pulley wabbles when it is running. There is no leak from the front of the pump and the radiator is full. This might be able to be fixed without replacing the pump, but I don't know.

/ David Brown 990 ??? #2  
Call your Case dealer and see if they can help. David Brown was sold and became a subsidiary of Case in 1972.

Maybe this will help.

david brown 900 water pump.jpg

Unless the pump body is cracked, you may just need a new impeller, seal and bearing.

/ David Brown 990 ???
Thanks for the breakdown. I checked with the Case dealer and was told the pump was no longer avaliable. I was quoted close to $400 for the parts to repair mine. It looks like they gave me a price for every part, not just the impeller, bearing, and seal. I got the pump off the tractor and now I just need to figure out how to get it apart to see what is damaged. The number cast in the pump is C 902029. I have seen several pumps for sale I guess aftermarket parts. Does anyone have an idea if one of the pumps on ebay would work?

/ David Brown 990 ??? #4  
On eBay go to item # 380378712713

That is a DAVID BROWN 990 Tractor WATER PUMP, K961011, 902029

$102.50 with free shipping:cool2:

Before you buy you might ask the seller for the distances between the bolt holes to make sure they would line up.

Last edited:
   / David Brown 990 ???
Thanks, I ordered that pump from another dealer on ebay for $100.99 with free shipping. It should be here Monday. We'll see how it works. I would like to run it for a while and make sure nothing major is wrong. Then I might try to repair the sheetmetal and paint it. That is if I can find the correct brown and white paint colors.

/ David Brown 990 ???
Re: David Brown 990 ??? 3 pt

The water pump I ordered fit and worked great. I thought I was ready to go until I tried to lower the 3 pt. It is all the way up and will not go down. I switched the valves on the left side behind your foot when seated. The loader works fine, so I'm sure the control is good. When I try to raise the hitch it will go up just a little and bog the engine slightly. I have read that this tractor has a lock to hold the hitch in the up position. I can't find it and can't find any info as to where it might be other that on the back left side of the rear end behind where the ram is. There is no lever there on this tractor. Maybe some pics will help so here they are.
IMG_6608.jpg
The little silver thing sticking out has a snap ring on the inside and a groove out near the end. I thought this may be it with the handle missing. It will turn just a little.
IMG_1059.jpg
The lever all the way on the right, all the way against the fender will flip forward and backwards. The hitch won't go down in either position.
IMG_8488.jpg
That cable just above the lift arm I assume is for draft control. I can pull on it and it springs back in when I let go. Obviously it is supposed to be hooked to something, but I have no idea what. If anyone can help explain any of these I would appreciate it. We are still looking for the manuals in grandpa's old house. I will order some if we don't find them soon. I would like to get this hitch working so I can cut some grass.

Attachments

• IMG_2368.jpg
    IMG_2368.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_5412.jpg
    IMG_5412.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_9422.jpg
    IMG_9422.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 527
   / David Brown 990 ??? #7  
Re: David Brown 990 ??? 3 pt

You might do better by starting a new thread for this problem. I would also suggest for you to get an owner's manual. You may be able to find a free download on the web or a cheap reproduction, if you haven't already done so. I found this link on the web:

Quick Check Hydraulic Fault Finding

dbtc.co.uk/index.php?module=Content&func=view&pid=182

Manuals to buy

ytmag.com/cgi-bin/store/mansrch.pl?Manufacturer=CA&SearchString=%27990%27&WhatCatalog=Manual&WhatMode=mm

/ David Brown 990 ??? #8  
Here is a link for a download for the DB 990 Implematic Hydraulic system:

classicmachinery.net/forum/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=216

You will need to register but it's free and it looks like it includes the operation of the controls.

/ David Brown 990 ???
Thanks. I am at work and we can not download anything on these computers. I will take a look at it when I get home in a few days.

I did find out that the little silver shaft sticking out of the left rear housing is supposed to have a knob of some sort on it. It has a snap ring groove on the end and I guess at some point it came off. Probably somewhere in the pasture on the old farm. I am trying to see if I can locate one to buy and replace it. I should be able to pull the shaft out with some pliers to see if the hitch will release. Thanks again for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

/ David Brown 990 ???
The lock lever that goes on that shaft is still avaliable from Case. I ordered the lever, a shim, and snap ring for less than $40. I am not sure I need the shim, but it was $2. I figured I would rather have it than than have to wait for one to come in later. Here are the part numbers just in case someone is searching like I was. [lever - K947974, shim - K626210, snap ring - K11290] I am still trying to figure out what that lever on the right and that cable do. I think the cable hooks into that lever. I saw it that way in a picture while I was searching. I did not find a explenation for it's purpose though. I have the same questions posted on another site, maybe I will get the answer from somewhere. If I could download things from work my question would probably already be answered. If I can find the manual when I get home, it is probably in there.

I just realised that I am getting paid while I do all this research. Now I am not nearly as frustrated.:thumbsup: