Transmission flush for vintage tractors

/ Transmission flush for vintage tractors #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
I'm finally getting around to changing the fluids on the 1949 JD B I bought a month or so ago.
The transmission appears to be filled with 140W gear oil that's pretty thick and dirty.
Any one have a recipe for a DIY transmission flush?

/ Transmission flush for vintage tractors #2  
140w gear oil that is more like a grease than oil. I have heard of using diesel to flush the trans.

/ Transmission flush for vintage tractors #3  
I used Soundguys recipe of Walmart ATF and a quart of rubbing alcohol to clean out the moisture. Worked great..!! Some diesel to cut that 140 some, may not hurt...

/ Transmission flush for vintage tractors
Yep. That's what was in my 1945 Oliver 60 also.

/ Transmission flush for vintage tractors
I used Soundguys recipe of Walmart ATF and a quart of rubbing alcohol to clean out the moisture. Worked great..!! Some diesel to cut that 140 some, may not hurt...

I'll give it a try. Thanks.

/ Transmission flush for vintage tractors #6  
I was told not to flush with diesel, its to hard on rubber seals and stuff. on a different forum i found a factory recommended recipe from fordson (i was working on a 1963 fordson super major). It recommended 2 parts kerosene, 1 part normal operating oil. I was trying to remove water particulates from the oil as it was crystalizing in cold weather and it worked great.

When research the oil that you will use make sure to check the spec, those old tractors had alot of copper and brass parts which don't like many of the modern oil additives. Just repeating what i was told by a bunch of fordson enthusiasts.
Good luck.

/ Transmission flush for vintage tractors #7  
Diesel would be the most common way i've seen .

/ Transmission flush for vintage tractors #8  
I was told not to flush with diesel, its to hard on rubber seals and stuff. on a different forum i found a factory recommended recipe from fordson (i was working on a 1963 fordson super major). It recommended 2 parts kerosene, 1 part normal operating oil. I was trying to remove water particulates from the oil as it was crystalizing in cold weather and it worked great.

When research the oil that you will use make sure to check the spec, those old tractors had alot of copper and brass parts which don't like many of the modern oil additives. Just repeating what i was told by a bunch of fordson enthusiasts.
Good luck.

this post is quite comical... diesel is too harsh and will destroy the tractor.. but kerosene is FINE!

:) ;)

typical repeated info....

if that seal has been fine in gear oil for 60 years.. a lil diesel won't hurt it... besides.. ever read the old jd manuals where it tells you to thin the gear oil in winter with kerosene... )

ps.. you do know that kerosene and diesel, and tvo.. and.. well.. heck.. mineral spirits are all pert near the same stuff.. :)

soundguy

/ Transmission flush for vintage tractors #9  
diesel to thin, alcohol to grab water.. and a lil atf-f or dexIII for some detergents...

/ Transmission flush for vintage tractors #10  
this post is quite comical... diesel is too harsh and will destroy the tractor.. but kerosene is FINE!

:) ;)

typical repeated info....

if that seal has been fine in gear oil for 60 years.. a lil diesel won't hurt it... besides.. ever read the old jd manuals where it tells you to thin the gear oil in winter with kerosene... )

ps.. you do know that kerosene and diesel, and tvo.. and.. well.. heck.. mineral spirits are all pert near the same stuff.. :)

soundguy

Man your rude! Kerosene and diesel aren't same.I believe Kerosene has much more lubricity. I don't know if you woke on the wrong side of the bed or what, I've never seen your posts be sorude though.! Thats the advice I was given. With nearly 4000 posts per year I guess alot of it must be BS!