First Time Tractor Owner With a MH 44

/ First Time Tractor Owner With a MH 44 #1  

stephen89

Tractor
Massey 44
Hey everyone, this is my first post and first tractor. I have always loved the older tractors and their simplicity. I picked this on up a few hours away for 1000.00. She runs but rough. Any suggestions as to improve this. The plugs look new though most everything else is older. It is a 12volt conversion and sparks good. I have had to play around the the throttle and choke controls to get them functional. I have questions regarding the metal arm on the front of the engine that the throttle cable connects to on the bottom and the linkage to the carb connects to the top. Is this metal arm necessary, could I bypass this arm and connect the throttle cable that comes from the lever on the wheel directly to the throttle linkage on the carb? Every time I secure the throttle cable and run the tractor for a few minutes the cable slips loose and I loose the ability to get full power. Eventually the cable gets so slack that I can only throttle up just about idle.

Any help on this tractor would be greatly appreciated. tractor4.jpgtractor 1.jpgtractor3.jpgtractor2.jpg

/ First Time Tractor Owner With a MH 44 #5  
Welcome to TBN--join the fun:thumbsup:

Check that manual that creekbend mentioned. That linkage probably connects the throttle to the governor.

/ First Time Tractor Owner With a MH 44
Thank you for the warm welcome and the helpful hints! I may have another question to swing by you guys. As I mentioned in the first post this tractor is a 12 volt conversion. In its current state the alternator though new, is not connected to the battery and ignition system. The fellow I bought it off of said that I need to run the output from the alternator through a resistor before the positive connection on the battery. He said that if I don't I will run into point problems down the road. Is this true? Seems like an extra step for the sake of the 2ish volt difference. Any input would be great!

/ First Time Tractor Owner With a MH 44 #7  
:welcome:

/ First Time Tractor Owner With a MH 44 #8  
Subscribed-

I'm a newbie with a "new" MH44 also-I'm jealous of yours, I have no loader. Wonder if you could post more [and higher resolution] pictures of yours. I can't figure out what you have attached to the rear of yours, my best guess is pallet forks?

Last edited:
   / First Time Tractor Owner With a MH 44
Hey MEMEMEME thanks for the compliment. The loader is quite useful for cleaning pens and moving the snow we have here. The bits on the back are actually large steel I bars. They are welded to the frame. From talking with the old owner we assume that they are for counter weight. As the tractor does not have power steering you would put weight behind the rear wheels in an attempt to get weight off the front wheels. These bars will soon come in handy as I need more traction. We just got a bunch of snow and have some drifts 4 feet high.

Also i have been successful in getting the tractor to run better. Through talking with my father in-law we decided that I needed to change the points. Little known to me when I opened the distributor cap and started to dig a little deeper I FOUND IT. HOW TO ADJUST THE TIMING. So i changed the plugs to new NKG and cleaned the button and fired her up. Then I loosened the dist cap and moved it until she ran smooth. 1000% improvement. she has tons of power now and purrs like a cat!

It still backfires a little bit! Any thoughts? I have the local NAPA looking into new button, points, wires, condenser and coil. I hope this helps with the backfire.

I also think I may have the governor issue. Every time I run it up to speed then i hit a load its revs up, then down then up again over and over until i drop the the throttle or give it about 20 seconds to level out. ANY THOUGHTS?

/ First Time Tractor Owner With a MH 44 #10  
Your description of how yours "surges" under load sounds like a problem I had with a governed gas generator and that did turn out to be related to the governor. My eBay MH44 manual devotes 2 full pages [out of 56 total pages!] to the governor and it's operation/adjustment and cautions that unless something in the governor circuit needs replacement that adjustment is not generally needed.

The troubleshooting section lists "governor out of adjustment" only as a possible cause of "loss of power".

Have you checked your fuel system for any air leaks? That's generally been the culprit for me in my old Datsun pickups-a loose carb base screw, a leaky intake manifold gasket, a torn accelerator pump gasket, a loose/missing idle adjustment screw or spring, worn throttle shaft holes, and once the choke butterfly plate was loose on the shaft, allowing the plate to partially choke the engine randomly.

Thank you for clearing that up for me [the beams on the back of the tractor]. I may do something similar on mine if I can't cobble some sort of power steering onto it. I researched "electric power steering" a bit but dropping 1-2 grand on that just isn't in the cards.

I thought maybe it was just my 61 year-old arms that were pooping out on me-these 44's are HARD to steer at low speed, and turning the front wheels while stopped with ~ 500# of steel hanging on the front is downright work!

Mine has a homebuilt snow blade [built of 1/4" plate] 84" wide which raises and lowers via a hand-cranked boat winch mounted on a bracket welded to the LR fender. The builder used a very well thought out series of four single-sheave snatch blocks and 2 pulleys mounted on a FEL-like frame built of channel which supports the blade and which bolts to the both the tractor frame and the grille. I just replaced the cable on it and lubed all the frame pivots, pulleys, blocks and the winch on Friday, and it's surprising how much more easily it cranks up and down!

Since I'm waaaaay too cheap {and poor} to lay out $450- for a new set of chains for it I'm building a set from some good semi chains [$70] and a BIG pile of rusty/broken ones I picked up for $50. I'll have a like-new set on the front with ice-cleated crosslinks and the rears will be a diamond pattern to keep them from slipping between the tire bars, not that there's all that much tread left on 'em...[-:

Had a bad case of sticker shock when I priced an oil filter {#7290} for it at NAPA. They want $32.19 for ONE filter. In a post on another tractor forum dated 2010 the same item # was $10.50!!! The NAPA adapter base {#4755} to convert it to use spin-on filters was $15 in 2010, today it is $46.88. The spin-on filters {#1050} were $3.50, now $11.69.

Anyone know of a less-pricy source of filters besides NAPA? If not, I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and buy the base and spin-ons, I only have to do 2 oil changes to begin saving money over the cartridge type.

Speaking of which, how often do you guys change your oil and filter if you only use the tractor about 30 hrs yearly? I plan to mainly push snow/drag heavy rocks/skid a few trees.

I'm sure glad "inflation is under control" or I'd be REALLY "scrod"...@#$%in' politicians...:mad:gifdoesn't matter if they're "red" or "blue", they're ALL members of the same criminal gang which is out to loot us...just like the Crips and the Bloods squabble until the cops [that's us] show up, then they band together and cover one another's behinds while trying to do in the good guys...END OF POLITICAL RANT-

Last edited: