Seized motor AC wd-45

/ Seized motor AC wd-45 #1  

Loadstar

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 640
Tractor lives in a garage basement. Engine is locked tight from sitting dormant. Today I pulled plugs filled cylinders with pb blaster. Hand crank is seized in frame and I'm not about to touch the starter. Will probably fill tires with air and try rocking it. I'm not trying to get it running just bust it loose and maintain it. Any extra tips would be appreciated.

/ Seized motor AC wd-45 #2  
Tractor lives in a garage basement. Engine is locked tight from sitting dormant. Today I pulled plugs filled cylinders with pb blaster. Hand crank is seized in frame and I'm not about to touch the starter. Will probably fill tires with air and try rocking it. I'm not trying to get it running just bust it loose and maintain it. Any extra tips would be appreciated.

Try a 50/50 mixture of automatic transmission fluid and acetone, it's said to be one of the most effective penetrating lubricants one can use.

Penetrating Lube Test: Grassroots Motorsports forum: Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

/ Seized motor AC wd-45 #3  
I'll second the ATF/Acetone. Finally had a chance to use it last fall, and have since used it more then several times. Works great..!!

Years ago on a few old tractors that were stuck, I took a spark plug, and knocked the porcelain, and electrode from it. Brazed a 3/8" pipe sleeve to it, and adapted down to 1/4" pipe, then put a male air fitting on it. Loosened the valve rockers enough to let the valves close. I then hooked an air hose up to it, with the regulator set at about 60 psi to help the penetrant do it's thing. Worked pretty good..!!

/ Seized motor AC wd-45
A gentleman on another forum sent me this. I might give it a shot. Seems like it uses a little of everything to get it moving:
You put kerosene with the ATF to thin it out so it seeps into areas. Acetone works better than kerosene, but it evaporates quickly.

"I typically use a mixture of diesel fuel and ATF because I have diesel fuel on hand. I will pull the plugs and fill up as much as I can with the mixture in all cylinders and let it set for a while. I will also remove the rockers and get all the valves closed (add some oil and possibly dump some of the ATF mixture down the exhaust manifold in case you have some stuck exhaust valves. The intake valves are more problematic if they are stuck on that tractor due to the intake design.

Anyway - after its set for a week (If I know the tractor history better - I might only wait 24hours based on that knowledge) - then I've made a series of threaded inserts that match various spark plug sizes - I insert one of the inserts into one of the spark plug hole and attach a grease gun and start pumping - after a forceful pump or two - I will move to the next cylinder - this forces that ATF mixture down through the rings. Once all the way through - I'll let it sit for another day. Then I go pick a cylinder and retach the grease gun and just start pumping - you'll know its working as the ATF mixture will start coming out the other spark plug holes - when you get that piston to the bottom of travel - move to another cylinder and repeat - make sure you top off the ATF fluid in the cylinder so you don't have to pump as much grease.

I've done this to literally hundreds of engines since the mid 90s. It works awesome. Even if the motor needs rebuilt - this is the easiest way to get the pistons unstuck.... I once had a 1934 JD D that I got a spare block and pistons with.... the pistons were seized in the spare block.... it took 3 weeks of soaking and nearly 40 tons of force to pop them out..... a grease gun puts out 3000psi pretty easily - that would have equated to over 50 tons on that particular piston plus forced fluid between the piston and the walls....."

I was a little concerned about the straight grease gun method but this seems to have a little more cushion to it. I think I will give the pb a week, see if it does anything, then mixed ATF for a week, and if I'm not getting anywhere-switch to grease gun prying.

/ Seized motor AC wd-45 #5  
Maybe check the coolant level. If it is down it may have drained into crankcase.:)

/ Seized motor AC wd-45
Good thought... made me puke in my throat a little. I should probably pull drain plug and check for nightmare in the crankcase. Thanks for the extra thought.

/ Seized motor AC wd-45 #7  
Acetone works better than kerosene, but it evaporates quickly.

When mixed with ATF, the evaporation rate of acetone is greatly reduced.

/ Seized motor AC wd-45 #8  
We've done the grease "thing" with the old hit & miss engines, and it works great too...!! That's why we always bought those half used 5 gal. buckets of grease at farm sales, and keep the ole' manual load grease gun around.

/ Seized motor AC wd-45
Added kroil into cylinders today. Pulled drain plug and it was oil. Soaked hood in kroil finally got it off. Pulled valve cover off and marinated with kroil and ATF. Aired tires up and gently rocked tractor with no luck. Manually pushed valves and they were all free. Rocked tractor some more and it broke free.

Attachments

• image-2366827893.jpg
    image-2366827893.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 328
  • image-794741741.jpg
    image-794741741.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 428
  • image-2405925342.jpg
    image-2405925342.jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 298
   / Seized motor AC wd-45 #10  
That Kroil is really good stuff, smart move.