How durable is the paint on aftermarket wheel rims?

/ How durable is the paint on aftermarket wheel rims? #1  

Owenslee

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M5040HD 4WD, Ford 8N , White 105, Case 1200 4WD, (1) TO-20 (3) TO-30 Fergusons
I recently bought two pair of aftermarket A&I 9x28 rear rims for an 8N Ford and TO-20 Ferguson.

The silver grey paint appears uniform and well applied but I question it's durability and rust resistance.

Since I have no idea what type of paint was applied at the factory...I am debating between mounting tires on these rims as is...or painting both rim sets with a more durable rust resistant paint.

I would appreciate any personal experiences or recommendations.

Both tractors will be lightly worked tractors that may occasionally see a local show.

Leave the original paint as is...?

Scuff the paint and apply Rustoleum...?

Or sandblast, prime and apply two part epoxy...?

What has proven durable?

Thanks.

Kerry

/ How durable is the paint on aftermarket wheel rims? #2  
I have no idea how long the factory paint on those rims will last. But I do know that if you think you need to put better paint on them it is a waste of time and money to put good paint over paint of unknown quality. Sandblast and start over, or leave them alone.

/ How durable is the paint on aftermarket wheel rims?
For those who have mounted these rims with just the original paint...any input as to how durable the paint has been?

/ How durable is the paint on aftermarket wheel rims? #4  
i don't know the manufacturer of my new rims.. but I have a new set I got from tsc about 4 ys ago on clearance. not sure if they would be tisco or not.. their paint is thick and fine.

I also have a set of 28 loop rims I got from tucker tire .. they are ? 3 years old.. also doing fine.

ditto what rick said. IF you thinkt he paint is bad.. DO NOT simply paint over it.. if it lifts or flakes.. yours new paint comes off too.

I like painting rims with epoxy primer and paint, after cleaning and derusting a rim.

it is very durable.