Oliver 70....project time.

/ Oliver 70....project time. #1  

txhillcountry

Bronze Member
Tractor
Zetor 6441
Pulled my grandfather's old Oliver 70 out of the barn. Think it's about time for a resto.

Oliver 70.jpg

/ Oliver 70....project time. #2  
That is a great looking tractor. I think a mechanical restore would be best for it. The paint looks to be original.

/ Oliver 70....project time.
That is a great looking tractor. I think a mechanical restore would be best for it. The paint looks to be original.

I've got a matching Oliver Superior grain drill to go with it. While a mechanical resto would be good, I'm considering a paint resto on both for a (mostly) static display.

Oliver Superior Grain Drill (Donkey won't be part of the restoration... :laughing: )

Oliver planter.jpg

I've had a couple of pictures for a while that show a restored Oliver 70 and a restored Oliver Superior grain drill, matching colors, and it's inspired me to paint both during the restoration.
resto Oliver 70.jpg resto oliver grain drill.jpg

/ Oliver 70....project time. #4  
Very cool old tractor. One of the oldest Oliver dealers was in my hometown of Ridgeway Missouri, Shepard's Equipment Company. So I grew up around Olivers. A guy near me has quite a collection. He restored a sweet little Super 55. Do you have the engine side panels too?? Keep us posted on your progress of course!!!

/ Oliver 70....project time.
Do you have the engine side panels too??

Those side panels are long gone. It was my understanding that they were one of the first things on these Olivers that farmers ditched in the Texas heat to help them cool. Knowing my grandfather, they probably became part of some other cobbled-together item like a chicken coop. :)

/ Oliver 70....project time. #6  
It has such a nice patina though. Those really are some nice old machines

/ Oliver 70....project time. #7  
Those side panels are long gone. It was my understanding that they were one of the first things on these Olivers that farmers ditched in the Texas heat to help them cool. Knowing my grandfather, they probably became part of some other cobbled-together item like a chicken coop. :)

In our country they were ditched because the farmer got tired of opening and closing them everytime they needed access. Your Grandfather sounds like my Dad. Dad used ours to fill a ditch that washed under the fence allowing the little pigs to get out......

/ Oliver 70....project time. #8  
By all means paint the tractor and drill . One of the nicest paint schemes as far as machinery goes . I started out on a super 88 when I was about 8 . And yes those side panels seemed to disappear very early in the life of the machine . They were always in the way of general maintenance . Keep us posted , good luck .