GEAR OIL?

/ GEAR OIL? #1  

bubblesbacon

Tractor
1955 case vai
I need to change/fill the rear end of the drive train on my 55 Case VAI, it states to use no. 90w oil? a straight 90wt that I am having trouble finding, also in researching this I came across some stuff on GL-1 good and GL-2 thru 5 possibly bad for old tractors because of yellow metals used internally? rather confusing, I just want to yuse the right product and where to find it at a reasonable price... this is not the torque tube / hydraulic pump oil, just the trans/rear end oil/lubricant I am finding trouble understanding whats out there... not a fan of synthetics either...
Any one with some words of wisdom?

/ GEAR OIL? #2  
napa sells a gl1 90w geatr oil.. 65-205 i believe is the part number for a 5g pail. 65-201 might be 1g jugs. verify that.

many TSC sell a 90wt gl1-3 oil branded for ford trannies from 39-52

lastly.. you can find 80w90 gl4/5 oil that carries a MT1 rating and / or states yellow metal safe.

SOMETIMES walmart has that.

/ GEAR OIL?
thanks for the info, it helps alot, I was kinda confused on the GL1 and yellow metal aspects?

/ GEAR OIL? #4  
gl 1-3 are completely sae for ym. when you hit gl4 and 5 some oils will have addatives that can contribute to attacking yellow metals.. especially in the presence of moisture.

many oils are now formulated to not use those ep addatives that attack the yellow metal. many times they will carry a MT1 rating and or simply say yellow metal safe.

Ford N and old fergy need this type of oil due to having a belly hyd pump that is very spendy, and is just loaded with yellow metal.

/ GEAR OIL? #5  
Sound Guy is correct on the NAPA part number. I use the same oil in my TO-35.