Allis Chalmers CA that my uncle has

/ Allis Chalmers CA that my uncle has #1  

nate26r3

Tractor
Kioti CK35 HST
My uncle has a circa 1952 CA that was bought new by my grandad. My uncle restored it in the mid eighties and it has been used very little since then. I havent seen the tractor since before it was restored. I think my uncle is willing to give it to me. Sounds pretty good so far, eh? This tractor had a front loader at one time, but it is long gone, and it does not have a three point hitch. I feel like I need to pay something for the tractor, but sans front loader and 3 pt, it is not really the tractor I want. My questions are these. Are loaders readily available and at what cost for this tractor? Is there a good 3pt conversion kit available? I would like to use it for brush hogging 5-6 acres, hauling firewood, back blade work, moving snow etc. Any thoughts or comments are much appreciated.

/ Allis Chalmers CA that my uncle has #2  
I looked at old AC tractors years ago. From what I recall there were 3pt hitches available for them and adding them was not a big deal. But just because you have a 3pt does not mean you also have a PTO. For bush hogging you need both a 3pt and a PTO. Double check the tractor and make sure it has a PTO, some of the old ones did not.

As for the front loader, that might be harder to find. And you will want to check the front end of the tractor to make sure it can handle it, especially the steering. Since it had one, it probably will accept one, but what capacity, etc.

Old tractors are great, but they are not comparable to modern tractors. There are SOME advantages to the old iron, but not many. And if a "CA" is a light duty machine from the early 50's then it might be best used for parades now?

Look on the YESTERDAYS TRACTORS website. I don't recall the URL or I would have posted it for you. They specialize in the old iron tractors and you should find plenty of help on Allis tractors there.

/ Allis Chalmers CA that my uncle has #3  
Bob is right about that CA. They are cute little tractors, but very limited in what they can do. I have seen quite a few with a Woods belly mower mounted under them. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif The PTO comes out real high and just under the seat. I always wondered what the Allis Chalmers engineers were thinking when they made tractors with no real way to get on and off. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Allis Chalmers CA that my uncle has
thanks for your input. when i was reading the responses i realized to my horror that the tractor in question is a WC not a CA. Sorry. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I will check out yesterdaystractors.com and start there.

/ Allis Chalmers CA that my uncle has #5  
Again I am going by what I remember, but IF I recall correctly the WC is a larger tractor, very capable in its own right, but again I think you might be better off restoring it and taking it down Main Street on Labor Day than using it as a workhorse for the jobs you describe.

/ Allis Chalmers CA that my uncle has #6  
That Allis would work for what you want, although I might question a loader. Is it a trike front?

For running a mower, and a back blade or scraper, that old iron will work fine. It'd be nice in a parade too. They were built as heavy duty pulling tractors. They'll work hard all day.

You will not though, have HST, or live PTO most likely. Is that a problem? Most likely not.

I like Farmalls. I have an '41 A I run in parades(even took first place towing a Cub Scout float!). I am working to get a 3pt on it, so I can use it as you mention. Mostly, I would like to be able to mow.

I am thinking hard about trading my Kubota B8200HST CUT in on a 463 Bobcat. The Bobcat is a much more versatile tractor for doing landscape work. But... it will not support a mower. My Farmall can do that though!

The newer CUT's are great. But, the old iron tend to be heavy duty work horses that can hold thier own any day, given they are used within thier design parameters. Mowing, scraping, blading, are all easily in thier realm of reality.

/ Allis Chalmers CA that my uncle has
Robert, it is a tricycle front end. It did have a loader at one time. as my memory serves it was rather primitive, perhaps homemade. It had a trip dump lever.

/ Allis Chalmers CA that my uncle has #8  
Don't know if you found this Allis Chalmers site yet. On the top left of page click on "Discussion Page". Its where I hung out when I had my 62 D-12 with factory 3ph. Lots of nice, knowledgeable "Orange Nuts" there.
I checked worksaver.com and oktractor.com that sell three point conversions for Allis Chalmers. They both sell them for CA's but not WC's.
I was lucky when I had mine, had a older guy with a tractor repair business about 5 miles from me that sold and worked on A/C's his whole life. He could get me any part I ever needed for mine.

/ Allis Chalmers CA that my uncle has #9  
/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Nate, This is just like a lot of other "issues" that you make choices about. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif As what's-his-name-says: "A man's got to know his limitations." /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif The question here is: "How appropriate is the tractor for the job?" The answer to that depends on how difficult you want to make these simple tractor tasks FOR YOU. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif We have A 1952 John Deere "A" with a nice front end loader on it. it even has after-market pwr steering....thank goodness!!.... HOWEVER, it isn't a convenient tractor to use compared to anything that was made after the Russians launched the SPUTNIK. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I grew up on older John Deeres and know every trick that there is so I CAN GET BY OK. However, if I was a novice, it would be tough to overcome the lack of modern-day technology....like live hydraulics and live PTO. I love to hear that engine bark when I am boiling dirt over the edges of the bucket, but yesterday's tractors DO have their limitations. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Allis Chalmers CA that my uncle has #10  
As many pointed out, the lack of some of the more modern upgrades may complicate the use of the tractor.. however.. if it does have an sae standard pto... it can pull a rotary mower setup as a drag mower. King Kutter sells their rotary mowers to be setup as either 3point, or drawbar tow.

FELS's on trikes are tricky... though I have seen them .. but they wer light duty.. like maneuer rakes... etc.

Soundguy