David Brown 990 3pt problem

/ David Brown 990 3pt problem #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
Hi, I am trying to help a friend out. He has a old David Brown 990 and the 3pt hitch doesn't work anymore. He had brain surgery a couple years back and as a result can not do as much as he use to. So I am trying to help him fix his tractor but I do not know much about David Brown's let alone hydraulics. Is there anything I should look at or does anyone have any ideas as to why the hydraulics no longer work on this model tractor? I don't know much about his tractor but if needed I can get any information anyone might need to help us out. Thanks and take care.

/ David Brown 990 3pt problem #2  
Hi Robert,
I know practically nothing about David Brown hydraulics, although I owned a David Brown 770 for 30 years.

In the early years, mine quit working. When I checked in with my dealer, he had found a line (can't remember if it was copper, steel or brass) with a hole rubbed in it. This line was inside the rear end if I remember correctly.

/ David Brown 990 3pt problem
Thanks, I have heard of other people having problems like that as well. It is something I will check if I can ever get the parts I need before I start working on it. Later.

/ David Brown 990 3pt problem #4  
I think that many of the David Browns had pump troubles but what is yours doing? Does the tractor have power steering and is that working? Does it have remotes and are they working?

/ David Brown 990 3pt problem
The power steering is seperate from the hydraulics but does not work. I fear there is a leak somewhere as the resivor is empty. That is a project for later as I need the 3pt arms to work before winter. The rear remotes work so the pump is fine. The arms don't work so I am thinking there is a stuck valve in the control block. Won't know for sure till I get it apart and would have done so already if I could ever get the filter and other parts I need to change some things on it. Take care.

/ David Brown 990 3pt problem #6  
You aren't to far from my freinds over to Lamb and Webster. I know they are not old Case dealers but from IH but the books are what might be needed and a little horse play and it will probably work. I will ask the boys here as we to are old IH and I choose not to be old Case.

/ David Brown 990 3pt problem #7  
We have took in trade several 990 DB's over the years and the 3 point hydraulics are prone to fail premature.--Usually 3000-4000 hours and the pump begins getting weak and eventually dies (Valve body wears out). I have one currently that will now lift approx 400 pounds max and we have invested all that would be feasable considering the age. To repair it to original form, I would need to spend $1500 and The tractor wont sell for more than $3500 when all is right. We will try to find a buyer that does not require the 3 point and give him a good deal--Ken Sweet
Sweet Farm Equipment Co *Now Accessories for Your Pickup*

/ David Brown 990 3pt problem #8  
Ken-Are you familiar with Sparex? They carry alot of parts for David Brown at attractive prices.
Chuck M.

/ David Brown 990 3pt problem #9  
No--I dont think we have checked with tose folks--However--The mechanic we have was a DB mechanic at a new dealership from the beginning and I basically rely on his council--He advises that the valve body usually wears out or developes a hairline crack that only manifests a problem when put under working pressure--Ken Sweet
Sweet Farm Equipment Co. *Annual Scratch and Dent Sale*

/ David Brown 990 3pt problem #10  
still having problems with my david brown case 990 hydraulics. just changed the oil and filters and have tried to bleed air but a no go. when I try to activate the remotes she is now making a different sound than it ever has before. sounds like pump or air cavitating somewhere in the system. any suggestions.