640 transmission

/ 640 transmission #1  

Tinkerer

Bronze Member
Sullivan County, Indiana \"God\'s Country\"
Tractor
1955 Ford 640
I took the hydraulic pump off of my 55 640 today since the 3ph won't lift. I have ordered the kit and decided to put the pump back on, figured I could at least still use the loader while I was waiting for my re-build kit. Now the tractor won't move. It feels like it is going in gear, but when I lft off of the clutch, I have no reverse, forward, OR pto. Anyone have any ideas? I am copletely stumped here.

As a side note, this tractor has been a thorn in my side since the day I bought it. HOPEFULLY I will get it "right" one of these days and actually get to enjoy it!

/ 640 transmission #2  
I think you have a single clutch on your 640, but even if you have a double clutch, the solution in the manual is to adjust the clutch pedal. If that does not work, it says to replace the clutch (that means splitting the tractor). If your rear main engine seal is bad, you may be getting oil on the clutch plate too.

With the tractor in neutral, if you engage the PTO, does it turn at all when you lift the clutch pedal? If it does not turn, that pretty much eliminates the transmission and indicates a slipping clutch also.

This is the problem with some old tractors. You just spend too much time working on them instead of working with them. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ 640 transmission
Problem solved! It seems that someone snuck in while I wasn't looking and moved the selector lever for the gearbox to the neutral position. I had forgotten that my tractor has hi, lo, and a mid range. I had moved it to neutral when checking the oil bath cleaner and forgot to put it back /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ 640 transmission #4  
If that 3 speed your talking about is shifted with a lever coming out of the bell housing, it is a Sherman transmission.
Chuck M

/ 640 transmission
It is shifted with a lever, so I guess it is a Sherman. It makes the tractor much more handy, mid range is just about right for brush hogging, and low range is perfect for the loader work.

/ 640 transmission #6  
It is most likely a Sherman, but there were other brands of these too.

Do you have the better piston pump, or the older vane pump?

--->Paul